I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shade Mountain

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Shade Mountain

Post by Boom Boom »

Guys I am sorry about having issue finding the correct trails.
All the correct trails are marked with purple paint on the trees....I didn't pick the color, the state did and it sucks because it blends with the dark color of the tree bark.
The rebar and other markers are for logging and they make a mess of things. We are soon to loose the center trail section to logging and will only have the harder trail leaving the parking lot to the right and easier trail from the lot on the left.
When you go out the trail to the left and cross Shade Mountain Rd to the north side you travel up along the property line and the locals run that area hard with quads (not allowed on the trail system). They have the illegal trails pounded and look as if that is the correct trail to run. We install signs and the locals remove them as fast as we put them up.
What you rode only scratched the surface of the available trail system. If you exit the parking lot to the right on what is marked as an expert trail it is hard to get off trail. When you get to the expert climb section if that is more than you care for you can take the connector trail to the middle trail and hook a right to Diamond trail then right again and that will put you back on the outer loop. If you study the map a little it is not hard to figure out where you are on the trail system. When you go out the trail to the left and cross the dirt road it becomes very confusing because of the local illegal trail use in that area. The majority of the trail system is single track, if you are on a trail that is ran in from quad traffic odds are you are not on the legal trail system.
I will speak with PaTRA for more options on what we can do to better mark the trails however everything must be approved by the state then somehow keep the locals from removing it.
Shame you drove all that distance and didn't get to any of the good trails.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Firebolter is good with GPS. I will see if I can run all the trails with him and then post the track info.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

One thing that would be nice is if there was a GPS track (or tracks) for the official trails. It seems like there are enough guys running GPS that it would be worthwhile. Of course that's only a solution for those who do have GPS. I'm sure there are club guys with tracks they've recorded. I would be happy to combine tracks to make a decent master track.

I do like the circles that you've got marking the intersections. Those were clear and easy to read even on a day like yesterday. Conditions were, of course, tough for visibility with all the rain and goggles, even with dual pane lenses, weren't useful. Today my eyes feel like I spent too much time in the pool. ;)
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

You need to run the perimeter trail (on a dry day) with someone who knows the area. Really the only place where there is a major split, and depending on which way you are riding can be a problem, and that is Mitchell (as Mike pointed out earlier). You'll know Mitchell when you get to it, it is a progressive down hill that culminates at a serious down hill drag, that if wet, can be a bitch riding out backwards, but is pretty easy to ride out the other direction. If you are riding out of the left side of the parking lot, then Mitchell would be a left turn as you are heading east along the perimeter trail.

Bottom line, you made it back to the parking lot and you had fun, that's all that matters! Next time I am up there, as Mike suggested, maybe we'll run the perimeter trail and mar the waypoints for the various places/stuff.
Lots of cool bikes---
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Boom Boom wrote:Firebolter is good with GPS. I will see if I can run all the trails with him and then post the track info.
That would be awesome. Besides my GPS watch I bought an old 'rugged' cell phone to load GPS tracks on. The phone was only $5-10 and I don't carry cell service on it so it was a super cheap way to be able to follow a track. Using the Locus Map Free app...
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

:shrug: Good day of riding, nonetheless

GPS tracks of the place would be awesome. I always have the GPS on the bike, so if I had tracks it would be easier to stay on track.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

I have the below track logs from about 5 years ago, they are probably mostly still accurate.

I don't think we went down Mitchel that day though....

E-mail me if you want a copy of the file: j-shaffer at comcast.net

SJ

PS. It sucks to hear we are loosing the middle trail due to logging, that was always my favorite way to return back to the parking lot.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Thanks Jay.
By your route you went down Mitchel (see loop to north where it says Spring Twp). Still a number of connector trails not covered but that route will get you on the majority of the trail.
Spent Sunday with a crew of 6 and removed all the trees down that were not able to be crossed.
All good to roll now.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I wish that trail system was closer to me. 2.5 hours each way makes a long day. It's nice to ride once in a while, especially since it's dirt bike only, but it is far.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

juddspaintballs wrote:I wish that trail system was closer to me. 2.5 hours each way makes a long day. It's nice to ride once in a while, especially since it's dirt bike only, but it is far.
If you have a plated bike then catch a room local and ride Shade one day and 7-mountains the next.

Agree on the drive part, some of my best riding is 2 hours each way for me.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr