I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Greenbrier Enduro, March 13th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Greenbrier Enduro, March 13th

Post by Boom Boom »

Skinny-J wrote:Watsy (to his close personal friends like me; who bought his DVD) also talks about a technique he calls the "Watsy-wiggle". It works best when standing and you kinda throw the bike side to side and "weave" the bars through the tight spot. This is what I try to do and it works fairly well when you need that x-tra inch or 2.
+1 with SJ.
I trim a 1/2" each side.
If you can stand the wiggle works fine rocking the bike side to side.
If you can't stand then aim the front wheel for the base of the tree you would have to lean the bike around and go thru in a zig zag fashion. Don't drive up the middle fighting the bars back and forth.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Mine are 31" wide with HBD hand guards, so probably closer to 31.75" now. I really like these HDB guards. I'll spend the extra money on them from now on. I think the basic setup is only $150 and far superior to any other design I've seen yet.

I'm riding up with Bucho, so you'll see me when you find his Ram Van. I'm sleeping in a tent nearby.

Just a reminder...we'll be losing an hour of sleep the night before the race. Don't forget to set your clocks ahead.

I'll be treating this like a trail ride as well. I'm still pretty slow.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Thanks guys, I'm going with 1/2" off each end. They are 32" now that I have the grips & throttle tube off so they'll be about that when done.

Jed I'll see you on the way up, riding with you guys. I couldn't decide about the HDB guards without seeing them in person. I got BRP triple tree mounts with Enduro Engineering guards. I know I like how they look & plan to get the HDB thread in inserts & they will be almost as sturdy as the HDBs.

I have heard about ALL those tight tree maneuvers, maybe we can get Wingfixer to demo them for us so we can decide which one is best.
Somebody bring a Go Pro :jack:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

J&J wrote:I have heard about ALL those tight tree maneuvers, maybe we can get Wingfixer to demo them for us so we can decide which one is best.
I'd pay to see that! :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote: Just a reminder...we'll be losing an hour of sleep the night before the race. Don't forget to set your clocks ahead.
Shit.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

Skinny-J wrote:J,

On all my bikes I have cut off 1/2" on each side so after adding bark-busters, the bars remain at their original width. This is what Rich Laferty recommended when we took his riding course. I can measure tonight but on my 2 Yamies, both bars are the stock pro-tapers and IIRC they are currently 32" with bark busters.

Think about it this way, how often are you really bangin through tight-ass trees? Set the bike up for how you use it MOST of the time and if occasionally you have to slow down and wiggle through a spot; so what. Start with 1/2" and if you don't like it, you can always cut off more (but its a lot harder to add it back on!)

The other option is to just ride a wheelie through the trees with the bars turned sideways... :chicken kiss:

SJ
I prefer to watch this method :)
Glenduro
Been there, Done that , and bought the replacement parts
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

J&J wrote: I have heard about ALL those tight tree maneuvers, maybe we can get Wingfixer to demo them for us so we can decide which one is best.
:dirtdog:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Kyler wrote:
J&J wrote:I have heard about ALL those tight tree maneuvers, maybe we can get Wingfixer to demo them for us so we can decide which one is best.
I'd pay to see that! :killingme:
You too mister. :dirtdog: :dirtdog:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Hanging out in the SkinnyJ Adventure Trailer the night before.

We are all excited
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

adventure trailer? holy cow - I've lived in worse places. :huh:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris