I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2016 Michaux Dual Sport; Sunday August 21, 2016 rain or shine

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
dstutz
DAMN n00b

Re: 2016 Michaux Dual Sport; Sunday August 21, 2016 rain or shine

Post by dstutz »

Thanks all. To address some of the comments, at this moment I don't have a lot of off-road experience, just a lot of gravel roads on my "street" trips over the years and some creek crossings, but I'm hoping that will change a bit before the event. The width of the bike, just over 36", is definitely a concern for single-track areas as is the weight, I know it's not a dirtbike but at the same time I've seen GSs handle some impressive stuff, whether or not I can handle remains to be seen. I'm assuming the "options" are shorter, optional sections that are a lot more technical than the main route. Is the main route just the gravel roads through the park or is it still "off road" just not horrible like the options? Thanks for all the insight as I attempt to get into dual-sport riding more! Oh...a little off-topic but if anyone lives nearby and would like to show me some areas to ride and help out a fledgling off-roader I'd appreciate.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

With no options, most of the route is on gravel roads. You'll still get to dip into some fairly easy single track here and there on the main route, however. Your width is only really a concern at entrances into different sections. They mostly keep the gates closed and have a walking path beside it that is sectioned off with a rock on either side. That path is usually how the bikes get into those sections for this event. Unless you plan to do some of the options, your width isn't really a concern on the sections themselves. The options are different sections along the main route that you can peel off and ride and then rejoin the main route in a different spot. They are graded by difficulty so people like me don't try riding the A options and wind up pinned under a bike while a bear gnaws my face off.

As for skill on the GS, you only really need it if you're doing the options. The main ride should be fine to do with minimal off-road experience.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote:With no options, most of the route is on gravel roads. You'll still get to dip into some fairly easy single track here and there on the main route, however. Your width is only really a concern at entrances into different sections. They mostly keep the gates closed and have a walking path beside it that is sectioned off with a rock on either side. That path is usually how the bikes get into those sections for this event. Unless you plan to do some of the options, your width isn't really a concern on the sections themselves. The options are different sections along the main route that you can peel off and ride and then rejoin the main route in a different spot. They are graded by difficulty so people like me don't try riding the A options and wind up pinned under a bike while a bear gnaws my face off.

As for skill on the GS, you only really need it if you're doing the options. The main ride should be fine to do with minimal off-road experience.

What he said^^^^. Do it. No worries, mostly gravel.
Bruce
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Just my $.02, IIRC from the 8 or 9 times I have done this ride, the main route is NOT all just gravel roads. There is definetly some trail involved and some of it can be rocky. If you just want to ride gravel roads, go explore Michaux anytime; I think there is a guy (Denny) on ADV that even hosts a weekly guided ride around there, that would be the place to start not this dual-sport. Of the 300 bikes that enter this event, there will be maybe 4 or 5 "BIG" bikes. A couple of these guys will be the real deal and the rest just got done watching Long Way Round and won't make it to the breakfast stop...

Everyone should read what the guy is saying, not what you think would be cool to do:
dstutz wrote:....at this moment I don't have a lot of off-road experience, just a lot of gravel roads on my "street" trips over the years and some creek crossings, but I'm hoping that will change a bit before the event. The width of the bike, just over 36", is definitely a concern for single-track areas as is the weight, I know it's not a dirtbike but at the same time I've seen GSs handle some impressive stuff, whether or not I can handle remains to be seen.
To each their own, but if you want to learn to ride off road, get a little 250 and run the piss out of it and then move up to bigger bikes; you will have a lot more fun....

Sorry if I am being a dick but I had to clear my conscience.

Good luck either way.

SJ
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Aside from ruining our fun...I agree with what SJ said. A 1200 GS can make it through the trails but I doubt, given your admitted level of experience, you would have any fun doing it. I do agree that without the options it is a ride in the park for somebody with even slight experience on even a big (650) thumper.

dstuts, if you look back about 4-5 years you can read the exploits of a guy named Bonehead (there is a really good reason he is called that) when he rode his KTM950(90?) on this ride. That should tell you everything you'd want to know.

Also, I do happen to know someone with a trail ready and all set up WR450 that might be for sale... :deal:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Found the thread, not as much of a ride report as I remember. He must have told me most of the best parts face to face, and I was there to witness most of it. :lol2:

DAMNriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2433
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
dstutz
DAMN n00b

Post by dstutz »

Wingfixer wrote:I doubt, given your admitted level of experience, you would have any fun doing it.
Working on it...found out on Friday I need to stay away from mud. Found out yesterday as long as it's dry the tires are pretty good. I was riding circuits in my woods (not very fast, there's rocks poking up all over the place) and back yard (grass) and was already enjoying brake sliding into corners and flipping over the seat when the tire hits a little stump. But powering out of the corner with a little wiggle is super fun. I'm supposed to head to Bald Eagle State Forest with a co-worker to check out those trails and I think we'll try the Pine Barrens as well as he's been through there before for the 300(500?).

I read through that thread you mentioned and was looking over some of the videos of the options (not done yet) and yeah some of that really rocky stuff looks like it would just kill me.

It seems like the event would be worth checking out nonetheless. Thanks for all the info guys.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Plenty of time to pick up a smaller bike to play on, too.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
brrrnt
DAMN n00b

Post by brrrnt »

I will be attending this event. I've raced the michaux enduro a few times, and it was a treat.

is this event rocky? :killingme: :killingme: :killingme:

is anyone camping the night before? I'm thinking about heading up and :cheers:
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W

If you don't wreck once a day, you didn't ride hard enough!
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rocky? It IS Pennsultucky you know.

Right now the plan is to go up Saturday morning'ish ride, camp, etc. We plan on grabbing a spot at Big Flat (main parking lot area).
My son is in this year- of course I have to pay his way and he's riding my bike. I get to ride SWMBO's bike. :lol2:
Bruce