I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mountain Ridge on the 8th.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Re: Mountain Ridge on the 8th.

Post by anotherguy »

What's wrong with a CRF at Mountain Ridge? This is my '03 at MR a few years ago. What the hell are you guys riding that it won't do the job?

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The general consensus with some of us (myself included), is that an MX bike is made for the track. A woods bike is designed for trails and riding "in the woods".
Sure you can make a CRF450f into a trail bike and/or ride one anywhere, but why not just get a bike designed for the task.

I mean, I rode my DR650 on most of the trails at Mt Ridge and even raced an enduro on it last year. But generally I much prefer my 2T woods bikes for such things.

Each to their own. I know plenty of guys use MX bikes as trail bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Oh........OK.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

J&J wrote:
Spooled-up wrote:CRF450R. Stock suspension, Original rear tire that should have been changed, and stock gearing. I learned my lesson and I've logged a couple hours on the KTM website.
We've ridden CRF250R's for a few years. They can be made to work pretty well but the list is long. We switched the gearing from 13-50 to 12-48 on my sons & I ran 12-49. 13oz over trailtech flywheel weight, they make a heavier one & don't think the heaviest one you can find would hurt a 450. We didn't notice it slowing the bike down any just smoother & less prone to stalling. Suspension revalve, but try backing the compression clickers off to soften the ride in the meantime. Also barkbusters, radiator guards, skidplate, & kickstand but you need these on any bike.

I took that route on the 250's because of the cost, you can improve a little at a time.
If you do all that to your 450 it will get much better but not as good as a new "woods" bike.

If your looking at new bikes & you're fairly new to woods riding smaller is waaay better... easier to ride. A 450 wears me out at the thought of holding on.... My boy can rip on his 250 but he's 16. I've moved on to a XCF-W 250. Was looking at the XCF-W350 but got a smoking deal on a leftover 2014. The 250 is so smooth, plenty fast & the e-start is sweet.

Just my 2 cents
I hate to sound like a coolaid drinker but that 2fiddy is pretty sweet. :hi5:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

trialsrider wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:
gots_a_sol wrote:
Spooled-up wrote: I learned my lesson and I've logged a couple hours on the KTM website.

Boooo.
Agreed! But, you know what they say...you can always tell a pilot.. .you just can tell him much! :lol2:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! Try the veal.
You could buy a Beta thats close to Booo :flip:

Just kidding :killingme: Don't get worked up Winged man
:dirtdog:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Spooled-up
DAMN n00b

Post by Spooled-up »

I did the skid plate, rad guards, higher pressure radiator cap, Engine ice, JD jet kit, but neglected the important stuff like suspension, gearing and tires. Ran out of $$ and time. I had a CR250 set up for woods, but sold it long ago. It worked great for what I used it for.

To get the 450 to perform would take some cash. To get it to be a dual sport is a bridge too far I think and I'd rather go with a purpose built bike. Besides, nothing I do to it will ever give it electric start.

Are some of you guys down on KTM's just because everyone has them? I'm starting to drink the Orange cool aid.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've got an orange bike. I like to think of them like Harley's (except KTM actually uses modern technology). Everyone has one, but there's a dealer on every corner so finding parts in a pinch is easy and finding a nice used example is also easy because the people with deep pockets have to have the newest model every year or two.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats pretty cool!

Is that a big bore? 400something?

anotherguy wrote:Oh........OK.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I actually like my ole 2000 kx250 for most of the off road riding I do around here. For relatively easy, open places like taskers or the cove it's not too much different from the xtrainer. I can dial the kx up or down depending on what I'm doing pretty quickly (through throttle cams and ignition timing) and I've got it pretty mellow with the flywheel weight and rekluse. I do greatly prefer the xtrainer in the tighter sections like at shade as the steering is a lot quicker. Most of the limitations of either bike are on me though, not really the bike.

That said, I am loving the xtrainer. The magic button is just that, magic. The kx has a long kickstarter, like an old 4t, and it can be difficult for me and my short legs to get my foot up on top of it to give it a good kick. With a good kick it'll start right away almost every time but I often have to put a pretty big effort in towards the end of the day to give it that good kick. If I manage to stall the xtrainer I can push the button and be back on the gas without hardly slowing down. It's a beautiful thing. I've been keeping it on a battery tender so the battery stays fresh...

I've got some interest in ktm street bikes (duke 390 and 690) but not so much their dirt bikes. I'd like to see the other euro brands grow and to see the japanese get back into off road. I still have a huge soft spot for hondas (I started on a 78 xr75 about 37-38 years ago ;) ).
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yz490?