I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Three Springs Enduro - August 7th 2016

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Re: Three Springs Enduro - August 7th 2016

Post by anotherguy »

Thanks but that's not an area where I tempt fate. My luck Officer Friendly would be waiting for me at the first road with a hangover of a galactic scale. I can't afford points on the license (work) or having a bike impounded. Next year the CRF will be tagged.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I finally got my newer tagged Freeride ready to go on Friday at midnight July 6 and headed for Enduro at 5:00AM Saturday July 7. I got the latest number I could (53) but there were still another 10 rows or so behind me so I think there were over 200 riders.

The first section was the rockiest of the day and my forks (which were set up just like on my older Freeride = GOOD) were deflecting everywhere! I realized that they only had 7 street miles and 0 trail miles so were NOT broken in! DUH! After a few crashes and a some miles they did get better!

The event was VERY well done and the trails were great single track mixes of type and difficulty. I had pre-ridden over half the trails on prior weekends but by the time I got there they were significantly harder than on the pre-rides as all the many climbs had several inches of chewed up dirt on them and much of the tail (even though dry) had enough ruts to keep me busy. I knew I was way out of shape so just took it easy and tried not to crash too often. This was working until the next to last section where I looped it right at the top of one of the harder climbs of the day and bent my rear fender straight up verticle (but got it back ~ down). Then on the last section I snagged my throttle cable and hit a tree WFO in 2nd and saw a few stars!

Right after that I came upon a smallish middle aged gal with number 5 - stuck half way up a rocky climb on a full sized KTM. She had crashed and gotten it back up then been trying to kick start it for an HOUR! I got to the top and walked back down to try to help her (we were the last folks on the trail) but after 5 minutes of feeble kicking I couldn't start it either so had to leave her and just tell the crew at the last checkpoint to go get her out. I was amazed she had gotten that far on that BIG HEAVY kick start bike!

I finished with what I am sure was the highest score of anyone that didn't hour out and was TOTALLY POOPED! I had to head right home as the QOFE had a family dinner out planned for that evening. I was so tired I could barely get around on Monday and Tuesday but was OK for our weekly Wed evening group bicycle ride and after PARTY from our house. Which reminds me - the QOFE, Bandit and OFG did a 30 mile bike ride Saturday - just to make sure I was warmed up for the Enduro Sunday! DUH!

So I SURVIVED BARELY - but had fun and would try it again. DUH!
The event was extremely well done and many R&T riders and DAMN riders were there as workers. (J & J etc.)
You should all try to make it next year!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Sam,

You are my Hero!

Nice write up; real sorry I missed it.

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

You're my hero too Sam. Sorry I couldn't make this year to ride it w/ you.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200