I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shade Mountain this weekend (sat 8/27 or sun 8/28)?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Shade Mountain this weekend (sat 8/27 or sun 8/28)?

Post by Boom Boom »

Nice run at the hill, ground conditions should have been perfect.
For the record that is off the Mitchel trail and what we call the log slide.
That was never used in a dual sport nor will be. I fight to keep that part of the trail system, state always wants to close it and I keep cutting out the dead trees to keep it open. I do appreciate people not trying to climb when not fit and chewing up the hill. Need to add some water bars to shed water flow off the trail but sure not going to make the climb any easier.
Sam the option that was used in the dual sport was the expert trail to the south that follows the property line. Mitchel would never be used as an option. I had tried to keep entrance to the log slide hidden just to keep down trail traffic so not to have the hill chewed up worse.
I have came across guys at the bottom of the log slide that could not get out going up Mitchel and sure was not going to make it back up the log slide. Part of the reason if it stays quiet to the public all the better. First time someone needs rescued from down there I know the trail will get closed.
Now if you guys are feeling your oats, from where you were parked at the trail elbow, just go for a little ride further down what is actually Mitchel trail. That is our little trials play area and a real hoot on enduro bikes....perfect in the spring when flowing with water :screwy:
Did you come across many trees that need cut off the trail and if so, where? Might take a day this weekend a ride a loop if saw work is needed.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Boom Boom said: "Sam the option that was used in the dual sport was the expert trail to the south that follows the property line." which is, of course, correct. Boom Boom knows ALL there is to know about Shade and spends countless hours keeping it if good shape for the rest of us! MANY THANKS!!!

If one is doing a clockwise loop, the climb I was talking about is a decent and it is about 3/4 or a little more of the way around the usual "perimeter loop".
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Boom Boom wrote: Did you come across many trees that need cut off the trail and if so, where? Might take a day this weekend a ride a loop if saw work is needed.
There is a large tree down along the back property line. Head out the right trail (counter clock wise) and it is before the first cut off prior to the expert section.

There is another smaller one on the middle trail (I think) coming back from the boot area.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

gots_a_sol wrote:
Boom Boom wrote: Did you come across many trees that need cut off the trail and if so, where? Might take a day this weekend a ride a loop if saw work is needed.
There is a large tree down along the back property line. Head out the right trail (counter clock wise) and it is before the first cut off prior to the expert section.

There is another smaller one on the middle trail (I think) coming back from the boot area.
Thanks...I have a good idea where you are saying.
With all the dead trees it is a constant battle.
You can see all the pines I took out on the log slide climb, many more to go.
I don't mess much with the middle trail. That will be taken away when they start the logging operation.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

BigBird wrote:Boom Boom said: "Sam the option that was used in the dual sport was the expert trail to the south that follows the property line." which is, of course, correct. Boom Boom knows ALL there is to know about Shade and spends countless hours keeping it if good shape for the rest of us! MANY THANKS!!!

If one is doing a clockwise loop, the climb I was talking about is a decent and it is about 3/4 or a little more of the way around the usual "perimeter loop".
That is the trail in the video. Log slide / Mitchel. I encourage people to ride the loop clockwise so they can go down that hill and also down hill for the expert trail on the south property line. Just far better odds of an average rider being able to ride the full loop plus most of the climbs that cause issue are downhill if ridden clockwise.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Just got a chance to watch the vids. Is this a newer camera from what you were using a couple years ago or is there something different in how you're processing these? I am able to watch entire videos without getting 'seasick' now... They're looking pretty good to me.

I sent your previous shade vid to a buddy who wanted to have some idea of what dirt riding was like. I told him how the video flattens everything out, makes the turns look wide/easy, and just makes it look much more open. It turns out that he thought the video looked crazy as something is happening constantly and the pronounced breathing accents that you're not just sitting there while the bike does all the work (I'm certain my breathing is a lot louder - especially towards the end of the day yesterday). He may be the first person who I've actually convinced that dirt riding can be a lot of work/physically challenging.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I'm using a gopro hero 3+ black edition that I picked up a year or so ago. I had been using an original hero hd and briefly a Replay XD (it sucked) until I got the new camera.

Also I run the closed back on the case all the time, so it mutes the sound a little. Except when something is tapping on the case, which it amplifies :lol2:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The go pros are too dearly priced for me. I'm going to get a cheapo cam to try out...
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

says the guy with a new beta
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote:says the guy with a new beta
:lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.