I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Post by Skinny-J »

Phoo,

Here is what I can add but Bucho just about covered it:
We picked the dates based on the vacation WF bid and was awarded. I am not sure if he is working right up thru the 18th (he probably won't know until he has his June schedule); BUT at this point I have a camping trip planned with the family that I don't get back from until late on the 18th.

Therefore the intinerary I have as of now looks like this:
Monday 6/19 - Trailer to Matewan, WV (Matewan offers lodging at the Hatfield Resort Inn, food at Wingo's grill and a big parking lot out back where we can hopefully leave our vehicles. I will confirm this with the owners when we get a little closer)
Tuesday 6/20 - Ride day 1-Matewan to Slade
Wednesday 6/21 - Slade to London
Thursday 6/22 - London to Jellico
Friday 6/23 - Jellico to Harlan
Saturday 6/24 - Harlan to Matewan (staying at the Hatfield Inn again)
Sunday 6/25 - Trailer Home.

The western side is said to be the "harder" side so that is basically the Slade to Jellico portion. So that might be good to know if your if your Dad only wanted to join in for a couple of days.

Hope this helps
SJ
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

What kind of tires is everyone thinking of running?

I read the report calling for knobbies and stating there is a lot of mud but there is also roughly 65% pavement. I'm not sure what DOT tire will last 900 miles and still perform in mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

beejaytee wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm What kind of tires is everyone thinking of running?

I read the report calling for knobbies and stating there is a lot of mud but there is also roughly 65% pavement. I'm not sure what DOT tire will last 900 miles and still perform in mud.

You're already plated--who cares if it's DOT?... Though I do recognize that typically a DOT tire might give greater lifespan
'19 350 EXC-F
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

kevvyd wrote:
beejaytee wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm What kind of tires is everyone thinking of running?

You're already plated--who cares if it's DOT?... Though I do recognize that typically a DOT tire might give greater lifespan
I would love to go for a Sedona for this ride but I was warned by a friend who got in an accident and the insurance co denied the claim do to none dot tires.

2012 Ktm 500xcw
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ive never heard of having insurance problems w/ non DOT tires but I guess anything is possible.

Im going to run a Pirelli MT21 front and Dunlop D606 rear.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Bucho wrote:Ive never heard of having insurance problems w/ non DOT tires but I guess anything is possible.

Im going to run a Pirelli MT21 front and Dunlop D606 rear.
This was a combo I was considering but I wasn't sure how the 606 would do in the slop.

2012 Ktm 500xcw
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I had 606's on a DR and the did OK in loose/mud conditions. The front was a bit slippy but the rear was good. I believe the consensus on the MT21's is that they are better on the front then the 606. I never did like the front end on the DR with any DOT tire though.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

I just found the metzler mc360. It looks like a good tire pattern. I think I'll give that a try for the KY trail.

2012 Ktm 500xcw
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

For tires, the ride we did 4 (5?) years ago I ran Kenda Trackmaster II K760s. They worked great in the dirt/mud/rocks and were pretty good on the street, after I got used to the quirky turn in feeling. They wore really well, I have about 1500 miles on them and the front still looks brand new, the rear has some wear left in it but not enough for this ride. Then, a couple years ago we did another ride where I used a set off take of 606s. They also did pretty well off road and maybe a little better on but didn't wear nearly as well. After putting about 1000 miles on them the front is cupped to the point it vibrates on the road and the rear is pretty well shot for off road.

For the KAT (KY?) trail my plan is to go back to the Kenda for the front and put a MotoZ hybrid I bought used (barely) for the rear. You'll have to wait until after the ride for my opinion on that set up. :lol2:

ETA: The Kenda is a DOT tire, fwiw.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Wingfixer wrote:For tires, the ride we did 4 (5?) years ago I ran Kenda Trackmaster II K760s. They worked great in the dirt/mud/rocks and were pretty good on the street, after I got used to the quirky turn in feeling. They wore really well, I have about 1500 miles on them and the front still looks brand new, the rear has some wear left in it but not enough for this ride. Then, a couple years ago we did another ride where I used a set off take of 606s. They also did pretty well off road and maybe a little better on but didn't wear nearly as well. After putting about 1000 miles on them the front is cupped to the point it vibrates on the road and the rear is pretty well shot for off road.

For the KAT (KY?) trail my plan is to go back to the Kenda for the front and put a MotoZ hybrid I bought used (barely) for the rear. You'll have to wait until after the ride for my opinion on that set up. :lol2:

ETA: The Kenda is a DOT tire, fwiw.
I have the kenda on the front now and after a 90 mile street ride the fronts leading edge is significantly more rounded despite not braking hard on road. I expected the front to do better. I have 20 psi in it. Any suggestions?

I have the motoz hybrid on the rear and love it for everything except mud. It was totally useless at the cove the day it rained. If the KY is as slick as that it may not be the best choice. But man does that tire last.

2012 Ktm 500xcw