I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
beejaytee
aka Heather

Re: Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Post by beejaytee »

juddspaintballs wrote:I used a small duffel style dry bag on the rear fender. I put two 1" footman loops through the fender near the tail light and strapped the bag down to those and to the subframe using ROK straps. I could probably lend you that dry bag if you'd like.
I'm planning on getting a set of rok straps. Do you know the size of your duffel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm pretty sure it's the medium version of this.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

Im seriously considering doing this trip but on my 350 exc (now that I have this bike, I kinda despise my Triumph xc...stupid heavy piece of nonrockery). After yesterdays Motocove ride I think I am physically apt for this ride but also because the KAT is 65% of pavement. 27 miles at Motocove is tiring! I too am curious about the true difficulty of the red sections. Are these sections like most of Taskers Gap and the Cove or are they like the much harder 495 trail at Taskers? As I ride and learn more in the next months I may not care but I may somehow reach out to people who have done these red trails. Perhaps they can say which one was the hardest and put a scale on the rest depending on the hardest, then I can simply elect to do the medium and easier ones. But even still imagining 175 miles a day of easy riding sounds so relaxing. Someone mentioned stopping by the Kentucky brewery; not sure if that is a joke but if we could plan that at the end of a day, Im in!!
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I sure as shit hope it's not as hard as 495! I'll be on my DRz. While it is a good, capable bike I would not relish the thought of dragging it over rocks like that. That said, Skinny and a few others are bringing 650's....could be fun to watch! :deal:

As for the brewery, I do not kid about such things. We will be stopping. I will be having a beer....or three.

Looking forward to it! :whoop:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

"A beer... or three"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Stopping by a brewery while in Kentucky? Why not a distillery? I think they're famous for making some sort of distilled spirit down there in Kentucky, particularly in a certain county of that state.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BDMaha wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 am Im seriously considering doing this trip but on my 350 exc (now that I have this bike, I kinda despise my Triumph xc...stupid heavy piece of nonrockery). After yesterdays Motocove ride I think I am physically apt for this ride but also because the KAT is 65% of pavement. 27 miles at Motocove is tiring! I too am curious about the true difficulty of the red sections. Are these sections like most of Taskers Gap and the Cove or are they like the much harder 495 trail at Taskers? As I ride and learn more in the next months I may not care but I may somehow reach out to people who have done these red trails. Perhaps they can say which one was the hardest and put a scale on the rest depending on the hardest, then I can simply elect to do the medium and easier ones. But even still imagining 175 miles a day of easy riding sounds so relaxing. Someone mentioned stopping by the Kentucky brewery; not sure if that is a joke but if we could plan that at the end of a day, Im in!!
If you go back a few pages SkinnyJ did list out the red sections. While they dont have ratings (1-5 difficulty or anything), there were a couple that people had said were harder than the others.
We are all making guesses about. And like Pat said, he will be on a DRZ, a good number of us will be on big 650 pigs. You on your 350exc might actually have one of the best bikes on the trip for offroad.

If the normal trail seems hard, then maybe skip the red sections.
If you try the first red section and it didnt seem too bad, then keep trying them.
If its 3 in the afternoon and its been a long day and we are just about to start a red section. You might decide that you are too tired and "F-- it!". You probably wont be the only one skipping it.
The rest of the group will be happy to have you skip ahead to the hotel and scout out dinner options.

I know I tend to be one of the idiots who likes to do "all the riding". A few times I have seriously punished myself. We do this stuff for fun. Nobody is winning prize money for doing everything.
This IS NOT a one day ride. You need to be on the bike for 5 days. No need to kill yourself.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Bucho wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:47 pm
BDMaha wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:57 am Im seriously considering doing this trip but on my 350 exc (now that I have this bike, I kinda despise my Triumph xc...stupid heavy piece of nonrockery). After yesterdays Motocove ride I think I am physically apt for this ride but also because the KAT is 65% of pavement. 27 miles at Motocove is tiring! I too am curious about the true difficulty of the red sections. Are these sections like most of Taskers Gap and the Cove or are they like the much harder 495 trail at Taskers? As I ride and learn more in the next months I may not care but I may somehow reach out to people who have done these red trails. Perhaps they can say which one was the hardest and put a scale on the rest depending on the hardest, then I can simply elect to do the medium and easier ones. But even still imagining 175 miles a day of easy riding sounds so relaxing. Someone mentioned stopping by the Kentucky brewery; not sure if that is a joke but if we could plan that at the end of a day, Im in!!
If you go back a few pages SkinnyJ did list out the red sections. While they dont have ratings (1-5 difficulty or anything), there were a couple that people had said were harder than the others.
We are all making guesses about. And like Pat said, he will be on a DRZ, a good number of us will be on big 650 pigs. You on your 350exc might actually have one of the best bikes on the trip for offroad.

If the normal trail seems hard, then maybe skip the red sections.
If you try the first red section and it didnt seem too bad, then keep trying them.
If its 3 in the afternoon and its been a long day and we are just about to start a red section. You might decide that you are too tired and "F-- it!". You probably wont be the only one skipping it.
The rest of the group will be happy to have you skip ahead to the hotel and scout out dinner options.

I know I tend to be one of the idiots who likes to do "all the riding". A few times I have seriously punished myself. We do this stuff for fun. Nobody is winning prize money for doing everything.
This IS NOT a one day ride. You need to be on the bike for 5 days. No need to kill yourself.
Back up the bus!! Whatdoyoumean there's no prize money?!?!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

Fresh beer or kentukey bourbon is the prize. Lol
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

My prize will be completinh the system with a healthy bike, healthy body, and great times
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR