I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

AOAA

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: AOAA

Post by Skinny-J »

BigBird wrote:OFG has never been to AOAA and hasn't been to RAC for about a year (back problems - now fixed YEA!) BUT would love to go now and has a permit which will be renewed for 2017.

AOAA is about 17 miles farther west than where I park for RAC (just off 901 east of I-81) and ~ 20 minutes longer to get to for me.

RAC is huge and has everything - but the area I like is mostly tight and GNARLY :loveit: perfect for the Freeride. I have some saved tracks of much of it.
Sam,

I loved the stuff we found the year we had RAC permits. I just wish it was a little closer and I had the time to get up there enough to justify buying a permit again; one of these days...

Make sure you save those gps tracks for me!

SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

All ready for an AOAA report.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yes we are all waiting.

Pics and/or video please
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Maybe he's still wondering around? :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

They do have mine shafts......
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Ok, so let me just preference my following humble opinion that it’s great to have any new places to ride and I am not blind to this fact. This place has huge potential but in its current form does not have much to offer the single-track junkie. The facilities are nice and the people were friendly but it’s definitely geared to the ATV crowd. Ironically, when looking around in the parking lot I would say probably 50% of the customers were on dirt bikes. Maybe this wasn’t the norm because it was the day before the opening of deer season and all the ATV boys were out getting drunk at the hunting lodge, dunno.

The trails come in two flavors, old coal-mining access roads and ATV 2-tracks. A lot of the trails just dead-end so it becomes an out and back and some of them can be rocky which adds at least a little something to grab your attention. There are also some pretty gnarly jeep trails with ball-buster rocks but for some reason, bikes are NOT allowed on these. It’s a shame really because the place is big and with a lot of work, could offer miles and miles of good ST. However, it would take posts at each trail head that were only bike width to keep the quad-tards off of them.

The guys I went with turned out to be very cool and it was fun being there for the first time. Some of the guys who had been there before had previously found some single track with the help of someone else who knew where to look, but with the leaves on the ground and not much for trail markings we couldn’t find shit. It’s probably a good place for me to take my Sherco buddy or my wife and my kids on their quads but I can’t give it too much more than that at this point….

SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

You nailed exactly what I had expected.
I know a few folks that were involved with getting the project off the ground but no longer seem to have interest or promote the location.
4 wheels pay the bills best, so they have the most attention.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I'd recommend folks getting themselves a RAC pass for Xmas.

Winter is really a great time to ride there AND I have enough gnarly GPS tracks to let even you youngsters get a good workout!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: 4 wheels pay the bills best, so they have the most attention.

From a business stand point I absolutely understand this. Of course they are going to cater toward atv/utvs, they need to make money. Else they will go under and it wont be available for anyone to ride. Though I will totally admit I'm a "dirtbike snob", I have no issue with atv/utv guys (as long as they aren't fragging up our single track ect...). Quite a few time I've talked w/ them at the Cove or Taskers and many of the ones I've talked to have seemed to either be noobs and/or guys who are a bit more "casual" about their riding. They really don't like the rocks or nasty stuff (or just want a tiny bit), and really like more "dirt road" type trails. Looks like this AOAA is right up their alley.

But it would be cool if there were some dirtbike guys who lived nearby and had the time to work on some single track. Like Tigerball does at Mt Ridge. (I"m still blown away at how great a time I had there in Oct).
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200