I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Rocky run Harrisonburg VA This weekend 2/3-2/4

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Rocky run Harrisonburg VA This weekend 2/3-2/4

Post by dirtdevil193 »

Got a new to me crf450x anyone going out? We've got friends with quads and jeeps meeting us out there. Figured I'd extend the invite to anyone interested. Link to location http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trai ... e_e212.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Rocky run Harrisonburg VA This weekend 2/3-2/4

Post by Bucho »

I've never been down to Rocky Run. Please give us a full ride report after the weekend.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Post by dirtdevil193 »

Will do. I'll take some good video. Appears to be a 10 mile stretch with some good side trails

drtjumper
DAMN Expert

Post by drtjumper »

What time are you all meeting?
dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Post by dirtdevil193 »

8 am Saturday morning

dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Post by dirtdevil193 »

Update- rocky run a serious blast! I would recommend camping in the trail (not allowed at trailhead) considering the 6 mile road to the trailhead takes probably almost an hour. I made the mistake of taking a 20ft car trailer for my stuff and knocked out 3 lights in the rear dragging on the ground (I actually found them and fixed it today). To get there I would recommend just putting your bikes in a 4x4 truck. Anyways, the trails were great, lots of everything, fast sections with small woops, tech sections, a few good hill climbs. I would say about 30% of it is really rocky. My buddy and I both pinched left front tires on our can ams, so fast riders have to really quick with watching for pointed rocks. About 2 hours around the main trail, but there were many more trails we didn't even get to explore.

GREWUPIN_D11
DAMN n00b

Post by GREWUPIN_D11 »

dirtdevil193 wrote:Update- rocky run a serious blast! I would recommend camping in the trail (not allowed at trailhead) considering the 6 mile road to the trailhead takes probably almost an hour. I made the mistake of taking a 20ft car trailer for my stuff and knocked out 3 lights in the rear dragging on the ground (I actually found them and fixed it today). To get there I would recommend just putting your bikes in a 4x4 truck. Anyways, the trails were great, lots of everything, fast sections with small woops, tech sections, a few good hill climbs. I would say about 30% of it is really rocky. My buddy and I both pinched left front tires on our can ams, so fast riders have to really quick with watching for pointed rocks. About 2 hours around the main trail, but there were many more trails we didn't even get to explore.

Did you transit the 'Valley of Death', which is the southernmost portion of the loop? It connects the Dictum Ridge trail (to the west) to the Second Mountain trail (to the east). At the western end of 'VoD' is a very tight, narrow, steep switchback which is quite memorable. And, of course because it's a valley, there's a creek crossing in the middle.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

dirtdevil193 wrote:Update- rocky run a serious blast! I would recommend camping in the trail (not allowed at trailhead) considering the 6 mile road to the trailhead takes probably almost an hour. I made the mistake of taking a 20ft car trailer for my stuff and knocked out 3 lights in the rear dragging on the ground (I actually found them and fixed it today). To get there I would recommend just putting your bikes in a 4x4 truck. Anyways, the trails were great, lots of everything, fast sections with small woops, tech sections, a few good hill climbs. I would say about 30% of it is really rocky. My buddy and I both pinched left front tires on our can ams, so fast riders have to really quick with watching for pointed rocks. About 2 hours around the main trail, but there were many more trails we didn't even get to explore.

So sounds like we should park outside and ride the bikes in. (Assuming you have a street legal bike)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Re: RE: Re: Rocky run Harrisonburg VA This weekend 2/3-2/4

Post by dirtdevil193 »

GREWUPIN_D11 wrote:

Did you transit the 'Valley of Death', which is the southernmost portion of the loop? It connects the Dictum Ridge trail (to the west) to the Second Mountain trail (to the east). At the western end of 'VoD' is a very tight, narrow, steep switchback which is quite memorable. And, of course because it's a valley, there's a creek crossing in the middle.
Yes we did. Didn't seem all that bad. Def easier than the good stuff at moto cove. My gf did great through it! And yes riding up the mountain on a street legal bike would be best, keep in mind one loop would take 3 or more. And I REALLLYYY don't think any cops would be up that road lol. I just don't like being that far from the truck, also there isn't a great spot before the trail to ditch the truck.

dirtdevil193
DAMN n00b

Re: RE: Re: Rocky run Harrisonburg VA This weekend 2/3-2/4

Post by dirtdevil193 »

Bucho wrote:

So sounds like we should park outside and ride the bikes in. (Assuming you have a street legal bike)
There isn't really an "outside" it's a church that's very picky, and a main road. The "first" access road isn't toooo bad, but the "second" to get to the actuall parking area I didn't even try with my trailer. So I parked "outside" but still 6 miles up the side of the mountain. A guy said I could be ticketed where I was but again, no police I really think will come up there.