I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Spearhead Trails

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
2way2wheels
DAMN n00b

Spearhead Trails

Post by 2way2wheels »

Anybody been to this place? http://www.spearheadtrails.com/

Jim
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Spearhead Trails

Post by Bucho »

Im just on my phone and only casually looked at the link given.

But Pochahontas, and some of the others... Isnt that part of Hatfield McCoy?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

looks very much like Hatfield Mcoy but SW Virginia vs West Virginia. I see where dirt bikes are allowed but no mention of single track :shrug:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

THANKS! 2waywheels, I had no idea this existed, definitely has potential

I was just looking a bit closer at the website. Yes, its sort of a "Hatfield McCoy" in south west VA.
In of itself this sounds great. I was having trouble pulling up some sort of an overall map of the region with all this stuff marked on it.

I didn't actually google driving directions but it looks like this would be closer than Hatfield over in WV. So that is awesome!

I didn't look through each "trail head area", but at least the Mountain View section did say "10 miles of single track". I read that after looking at the map, and there were these orange trails that didn't go w/ the green/blue/black atv trails.

I think this needs some more research but sounds like a VA riding trip is in the future (for me at least).

For the last couple years, I've wanted to rent a 4 person UTV to take my family on an offroad day trip to show them the awesome stuff I get to see all the time on bikes. Try to make it a 1 day offroad trip and then the other day take them to the Drive Thru Animal Safari thing down there in VA. Good family fun!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I checked out the website a bit more. Still has potential but not as great as I originally thought.

All in all, it seems modeled after Hatfield McCoy (which is cool) The two biggest bummers are that only the one Trail Head at Mountain View actually has single track. They say "10 miles" of single track.
The other bummer, is that its further away than I thought. WAY down into south western VA. About 6 hours from my house. Though granted, that's roughly an hour closer than driving to Matewan for Buffalo Mtn.

But I did find a few little bits on youtube. The single track does look pretty fun. Doesn't look like its used too much.

I find it hard to blame such places for catering to the ATV/UTV crowds. They certainly outnumber dirtbike guys (and gals) by a large margin. But I wish they would cut some more single track. Maybe they will in the future...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

Spearhead is roughly the same distance from my area as most of the Hatfield trail systems. It's funny that on these systems locals actually have their own trails they have made. These trails seems to be much better then the ones you need permits for.

In comparison:

Same travel time.
50 miles of trails(spearhead) vs. roughly 2000 miles (HF).
Permit cost is the same.
Spearhead caters to trail cars.
Spearhead has a better website. :shrug:

Summary: If Spearhead was within 100 miles of my house, it would be worth it.
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Now if only PA would pull head from ass and do anything like this with the endless miles of abandon coal land all across northern PA.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr