I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ridge Run Enduro - Sun June 9th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Ridge Run Enduro - Sun June 9th

Post by Bucho »

BamBam wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm I hope there is a sign or something. I'd hate to be riding all alone and accidentally follow the trail into A-B world.... :knary:
its usually well marked and at the start of the AB loop they will tell you its the A loop.

Its usually the last section before the end. If you are feeling good you can still do it. Just tell them at the start you are a C rider and want to do it for fun. Ive never been told I couldn't. Usually get a thumbs up and a wave through.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Weeelllp.... turns out I didn't even make it to the dreaded A/B split.

Heck - I didn't even make it to the first gas stop at 19 mile marker. Turns out I got my first ever rear tire flat around the 15 mile marker, and that ended my day of plodding through the woods.

How did it go for the rest of the DAMN riders?
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BamBam wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:25 am Weeelllp.... turns out I didn't even make it to the dreaded A/B split.

Heck - I didn't even make it to the first gas stop at 19 mile marker. Turns out I got my first ever rear tire flat around the 15 mile marker, and that ended my day of plodding through the woods.

How did it go for the rest of the DAMN riders?
Sorry to hear that. How many sections did you finish?
How was your experience up until that point?

My last enduro I twisted my knee badly at about the three mile mark and limped back to the van. Its disappointing but it happens
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

I finished the first section (early, to my amazement!!). Then lost the near the end of the 2nd section. Got about an hour of racing in. I was certainly tired, and the loose/rocky trails were kicking my butt, but I could have gone further had it not been for the flat tire. Maybe time for a soft nitro mousse??

Funniest moment was when they said 5,4,3,2,1...GO!! And NO ONE in my row went. I guess no one wanted to lead the way? So the starter said GO again, and still no one went. Ha! At that point it was getting embarrassing so I took off first and led the way out of the gate, through the first grass section, and starting up into the hills... when I finally had some sense and pulled over to let the other guys pass.

I should have a photo of the rare moment when I officially score the holeshot. LOL

2001 Honda XR 200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Here are some other photos from the event, featuring several DAMN riders.
Was great weather! Trail conditions should have been perfect, but MAN those hidden sections of the mountain were still wet, with some occasional mud holes and wet runs where water was coming down the mountain from springs or something.

Lots of loooooooong loose dirt/rock hill climbs which were fun. There were plenty of tricky twisty rocky sections like at RAC, that slowed me down to a crawl. And in between some very nice sections of single and double track that always seemed too short to really enjoy. Lots of riders were going off track and falling throughout. Tougher than it looks on video for sure !!

Skinny-J crushed it... perhaps time for B-class?? :deal:

2001 Honda XR 200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sounds like you still got some good experience for your first official race.

Funny about the start. I sometimes dont even start my motor till the other guys on my row speed off. Usually by the next few starts (if its a “start control”) the four riders know who is the quickest and will take off in order.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

A bib is a good call if you plan to race / ride lots of smaller rocks at speed. If you do much dual sport / road riding then I would advise against. I normally have little issue with rear flats as I normally run a trials or trials type rear tire with taller sidewalls but the front running a bib is a must for me. Looked like a good time.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Here is the first time I caught up with the other DAMN riders, on a tricky loose/rocky hill in the beginning of the race... :duel:

2001 Honda XR 200
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

BamBam wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 pm Here is the first time I caught up with the other DAMN riders, on a tricky loose/rocky hill in the beginning of the race... :duel:

:lol2:
I stalled my bike and couldn't restart it for a little while. Still after that I only caught up with you only after a solid time. Too bad about your tire - would love to see how you'd done the rest of the race.
On that short, pretty steep climb where I finally went past you - did you already have the flat there?

I don't know how :lol2: , but my gopro was taking pics all the time with intervals. Some of them are usable, will share :cheers:
Here's the album, I'm a bit lazy to manually add all of the individual pics..
Ridge Run Enduro 2019/Nobody

Except one - my first tropy. Not the best one, but still I'm happy with that :thumbup:

Or two - our champ :) :cheers:
Every day is a good day when you ride
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Awesome Job everyone! I though the trails were just fantastic. Kinda like the Three Springs Enduro on steroids or the Barbed Wire Enduro turned up to 11! The elevation changes are what made this one so cool. It was rocky and rooty and slick as hell but that's what made it so memorable. I thought the Club was very organized and the event was well run as well.

Congrats to Janis for his great finish! :thumbup:

The most impressive fact from the day; this was the 50th running of this enduro and Jack Laferty (who I got to finish with at the last observed check) has ridden ALL 50 of them!

SJ