I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Granogue MAVT Nov 3 2019

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Granogue MAVT Nov 3 2019

Post by Boom Boom »

Looking like the weather gods will smile down on us this sunday. Also great for those lucky enough to score Hammer Run sign up.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

My knee is still boogered up, so I'll have to skip this.
I rode a bit with Phil today and it bothered me enough that I'm not going to make the drive.
DS ride on the Husky Sunday :thumbup:
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Had a great time other than forgetting to turn the petcock on in the morning and running the bowl dry. Was a BUGGER to restart and wore me out before we even got going.
The loop was huge. Some sections had a LOT of elevation change. I simply can't bring myself to climb a super steep hill, lean the bike towards the edge, and make a tight turn back down said hill. It must trigger some latent fear and I won't lean enough to turn tight enough. I can also go down some seriouslly knarly, even muddy, stuff in the enduro bikes ok. The steep downhills that were either super soft loose dirt and that big gravel pile hill kicked my butt. My foot isn't sensitive enough to control the rear brake well enough and the front (which I greatly favor) can only do so much in those situations. It again leaves me wishing I had a LHRB or some sort of rear thumb brake like the road racers use. I have decades of MTB 'training' that I may never be able to unlearn. We are no longer monkeys w/ dexterous hands on our hind limbs. :jack:
Sorry, no pics:( I need to get a pair of riding pants w/ pockets so I can bring a phone/camera.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I'm with you on the steep stuff. It is my nemesis.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

smdub wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm Had a great time other than forgetting to turn the petcock on in the morning and running the bowl dry. Was a BUGGER to restart and wore me out before we even got going.
The loop was huge. Some sections had a LOT of elevation change. I simply can't bring myself to climb a super steep hill, lean the bike towards the edge, and make a tight turn back down said hill. It must trigger some latent fear and I won't lean enough to turn tight enough. I can also go down some seriouslly knarly, even muddy, stuff in the enduro bikes ok. The steep downhills that were either super soft loose dirt and that big gravel pile hill kicked my butt. My foot isn't sensitive enough to control the rear brake well enough and the front (which I greatly favor) can only do so much in those situations. It again leaves me wishing I had a LHRB or some sort of rear thumb brake like the road racers use. I have decades of MTB 'training' that I may never be able to unlearn. We are no longer monkeys w/ dexterous hands on our hind limbs. :jack:
Sorry, no pics:( I need to get a pair of riding pants w/ pockets so I can bring a phone/camera.
Good to see you made it out for the event.
I was beyond pissed as I skipped a great event the weekend prior to avoid getting sick from riding in the rain only to be taken out by the girls in our office. I was all stoked to ride and just tuff it out, went to walk up the first hill and about passed out from gasping for air...lungs full of fluid. Just turned in my card before even starting...not how I planned on finishing the year off.
It was a great event however a little on the hard side for the 3 and 2 line riders in a few sections.
The amount of DNF riders with broken bikes sort of reflected that.
If you think the down hills are sketchy on your nice modern bike have a go with a 40+ year old bike with drum brakes that was just ran thru the water.
Worth the sign up fee just ride the wonderful property.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Ken, you would not have ridden this event. Made that steeper one in MD this year look like child's play. The loop wasn't bad to ride though, just a couple sections.

Mike, didn't realize you didn't ride. How did Sawyer do? Walking all those sections in the morning was hard work. I busted my knee walking down the really long steep one w/ the loose dirt. I slid into a tree. Its bad when you get injuries just walking the course;) My right thigh got a cramp w/ 2 stages to go in the afternoon but I worked it out. I usually get calf cramps so that was a new one. Wasn't drinking enough water. Was trying to remind myself to drink from the camelback often but I guess I forgot in the cold. The fact I still had some water left in it after all the loops says I definitely forgot more than I should have.

Yeah, I did notice a lot of DNFs on the board. The fellow parked beside me came back w/ his clutch lever dangling which ended his day.

I've ridden drum brakes. I also remember the rim-brake mtb days. Similarly worthless after they got wet. You guys have my respect :thumbup:
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sawyer ended mid pack on 3 modern. Just not being serious enough. He was having to much fun being able to put the trials bike in high gear and crank it out. He sucked a tank of gas every loop so he was ripping the grip...at 14 what do you expect?
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

See if this opens.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sonny did you make it to the event?
Bruce if you knee was not well you made a good call passing as it was modestly harder than the prior year but again you have progressed.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:50 pm Sawyer ended mid pack on 3 modern. Just not being serious enough. He was having to much fun being able to put the trials bike in high gear and crank it out. He sucked a tank of gas every loop so he was ripping the grip...at 14 what do you expect?
Nice job Sawyer!

Sorry, I missed this one. I look forward to some events in the Spring
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200