I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by Firebolter »

aai wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:15 am I heard Jellico, so that's at TN where i75 comes up. Can someone say how many days/nights is that from Matewon or beginning of the KAT ride?
Depending on the pace you can ride, it looks like 2-3 days to Jellico from Matewan to me.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I downloaded the KAT map, and it seems well laid out. All the hard loops join back to the main trail. Easy for a group to split and rejoin. Most likely I’ll bypass the hard loops. There may be some time/mile differences. But it seems pretty straight forward.
So, if anybody was on the fence, so to speak, because of the harder loops no worries.

I got one of those Montana things on the way. Let the learning begin. :lol2:

Also- I can be in for the whole trip if it helps (for me :lol2: ) to get in on a van/truck/trailer pool. :thumbup:
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Firebolter wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:11 pm
aai wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:15 am I heard Jellico, so that's at TN where i75 comes up. Can someone say how many days/nights is that from Matewon or beginning of the KAT ride?
Depending on the pace you can ride, it looks like 2-3 days to Jellico from Matewan to me.
Jellico to Matewan is like 200 miles. 4 hours shortest distance. :shrug:
Bruce
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm I downloaded the KAT map, and it seems well laid out. All the hard loops join back to the main trail. Easy for a group to split and rejoin. Most likely I’ll bypass the hard loops. There may be some time/mile differences. But it seems pretty straight forward.
So, if anybody was on the fence, so to speak, because of the harder loops no worries.

looks like Ill be inhaling your dust then :lol2:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm
Firebolter wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:11 pm
Jellico to Matewan is like 200 miles. 4 hours shortest distance. :shrug:
for the slab ride back, at least its in the mountains nice switchbacks and stuff.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

aai wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:17 pm
Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm I downloaded the KAT map, and it seems well laid out. All the hard loops join back to the main trail. Easy for a group to split and rejoin. Most likely I’ll bypass the hard loops. There may be some time/mile differences. But it seems pretty straight forward.

looks like Ill be inhaling your dust then :lol2:
Team Husky :deal:
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

SJ, add Robert Poe (he goes by repoe) to the list for all. He is a good buddy of mine and has both a dual sport and a dirtbike. I sent him the details and he will join DAMN riders soon.
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:47 am Tentative Itinerary:
Sat 7/18 – drive to Matewan
Sun 7/19 - Get out your dirt bike of choice – ride Buffalo Mountain.
Mon 7/20 – more punishing dirt biking riding of the HM trails.
Tues 7/21 to Sat 7/25 – exchange dirt bike for dual-sport bike and off on a 5 day loop of the Kentucky Adventure Trail. Clockwise this time; it will look totally different the opposite direction (not that I would remember much of it from before anyway).
Sun 7/26 – drive home. Exhausted and with lots of good stories.
This trip doesn't line up super well with my work schedule.

Hey J, is there any way we can change the itinerary?

Like maybe we do the KAT first, and then spend that final Friday and Sat riding BuffaloMtn?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bucho wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 pm
Skinny-J wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:47 am Tentative Itinerary:
Sat 7/18 – drive to Matewan
Sun 7/19 - Get out your dirt bike of choice – ride Buffalo Mountain.
Mon 7/20 – more punishing dirt biking riding of the HM trails.
Tues 7/21 to Sat 7/25 – exchange dirt bike for dual-sport bike and off on a 5 day loop of the Kentucky Adventure Trail. Clockwise this time; it will look totally different the opposite direction (not that I would remember much of it from before anyway).
Sun 7/26 – drive home. Exhausted and with lots of good stories.
This trip doesn't line up super well with my work schedule.

Hey J, is there any way we can change the itinerary?

Like maybe we do the KAT first, and then spend that final Friday and Sat riding BuffaloMtn?
My thought was to do the single track days first while we are still fresh. For me at least, the dual sport riding is at a more relaxed pace and less tiring then the single track which I only seem to be able to ride at race pace. However, after 5 days of dual-sporting, I am not sure I will be as psyched to climb on the dirt bike vs the other way around....

Regardless, I am always down with whatever the group consensus is. If everybody else prefers the the single track at the end of the week then we can go with that. Vote now and vote often!

SJ
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

My thought was to do the single track days first while we are still fresh. For me at least, the dual sport riding is at a more relaxed pace and less tiring then the single track which I only seem to be able to ride at race pace. However, after 5 days of dual-sporting, I am not sure I will be as psyched to climb on the dirt bike vs the other way around....

Regardless, I am always down with whatever the group consensus is. If everybody else prefers the the single track at the end of the week then we can go with that. Vote now and vote often!

SJ
Agree with this ideology, if you guys decide to swap it around, I will probably skip the ST and head home or maybe do a vacation day around the area after the KAT and do some fishing or something. It will be easier to be motivated for KAT after ST than ST after KAT! But I defer to the consensus and will go with the flow bro!
Lots of cool bikes---