I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials stuff

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Trials stuff

Post by Boom Boom »

smdub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:38 pm I get the not moving/just step off part. But it only takes a small misstep/slip to fall on your butt and completely let go of the bike. My friend who suggested it is going to try it w/ a big enduro bike as thats all hes got. It be nice not to tear up the bike if things go wrong.
Video please..

In all serious I had a new guy at the farm and on a Freeride. Was working with him how to lift front for correct impact on the log and only way he could do was pop the clutch and slam it. Once I held the end of the bar and could explain how to work the body and not just arms he could get lift with minimal power...this skid and strap idea will allow him to put full effort into front lift using legs and body core vs jerking with the arms and spinning rear wheel. Cheap and simple so why not. Have fun...
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Learning to ride a cheap unicycle really helped with my wheelie balance point. I should probably break that out again for some "training"

Jason Robb
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

What's wrong with practicing wheelies the old fashion way?
You fall over when you do it wrong :roost:
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Laoch wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm What's wrong with practicing wheelies the old fashion way?
It was to help Sally with her fear of wheelie but seems many others find it fun.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:45 pm Video please..
Yeah! I can't wait to see him balance his KTM500. I'm thinking w/ the more damped forks on an enduro there is likely no way he can just use his body to lift the front wheel and will have to start w/ it elevated pretty good. Hes a little shorter and a good 30#+ lighter than me so his core has less leverage. But hes young and crazy so he'll figure out a way.
Jtrobb wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm Learning to ride a cheap unicycle really helped with my wheelie balance point. I should probably break that out again for some "training"
I bought one for the same (and some core training) I can balance front/rear but the turning part hasn't clicked yet. I need to get back on it now the weather is turning nicer. I also recently bought a Vurtego V4 pogo. I can hop around 'ok' but its fairly terrifying starting to go high since you're already ~3' higher just standing on it. My first 'off' is going to hurt. Also need to get back on that and just get super comfortable on it. Either will wear me out quickly. :knary:
Laoch wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm What's wrong with practicing wheelies the old fashion way?
I cracked/bruised my ribs pretty bad last fall doing just that on the SurRon. Between that and tearing my left 'great toe' half-off riding downhill mtb's at Bryce in Sept I'll take any 'lower impact' learning I can get! I don't heal as fast as I once did.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I think there's been some discussion of this in the recent past but I just cam across this video that got me wondering if this thing (maybe the x260) could be used for trials?

https://store.segway.com/segway-dirt-ebike-x160-x260

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

The Segway/Ninebot X260 is the Sur-Ron Light Bee X (LBX). They invested into the company sometime last year and are now brand labeling the products (with some slight differences.)

I have the LBX (so does Granville.) I think Phil gave mine a spin at Ken's once. Its peppy but not a good trials bike yet. The throttle has an S-curve and just doesn't have the 'snap' off the bottom end a little bit of twist should give you. I can still hop a log ok but its different than any gas bike. That said, I've ordered a Nucular 24F controller from Russia. It will approximately double the torque and help some of the throttle mapping issues (though some of those are from the throttle sensor SurRon uses so might have to swap that.) I am currently building a set of 1.85-19 and 1.60-21 moto rims for it w/ Shinko SR241 trials tires. I'm almost done with the front wheel and should have some of it together this weekend.

At a minimum I'm going to use it for the scouting laps at trials events. Hope to be able to compete on it at least once just to see how it goes.

Still truing the front 21" wheel.
20200415_truing_front_r800.jpg
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Stephen pretty much covered it.
I got a short ride on his SurRon. I think its a very cool Ebike. The throttle does feel very strange (compared to a dirtbike, even to little electric OSET I own). Yeah, I agree w/ Stephen. I don't think it would be a good bike for a trials competition.

That said, I think it was really cool. Would be an awesome bike to do some neighborhood playing. A cool bike to explore some areas in stealth.

Twist wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:05 am I think there's been some discussion of this in the recent past but I just cam across this video that got me wondering if this thing (maybe the x260) could be used for trials?

https://store.segway.com/segway-dirt-ebike-x160-x260

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

No seat saturday.......
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice. That’s out by Altoona right? Is it Henry’s ?
Bruce