I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Emmitsburg Farm Ride, 5/7

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Emmitsburg Farm Ride, 5/7

Post by aai »

I think that’s the one I was watching yesterday. The initial charge from the factory lasted 1.2hrs and 21 miles. Suppose to drain it completely for first run. I’m curious can these bikes be loweredImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The electrics are neat. I hope they can keep improving them.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

aai wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am I think that’s the one I was watching yesterday. The initial charge from the factory lasted 1.2hrs and 21 miles. Suppose to drain it completely for first run. I’m curious can these bikes be loweredImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sonny, check out the spec on the Freeride E-XC. It's a smaller bike with a lower seat height in standard config and KTM says they've got a lower seat for it as well.

I'm still mulling this one over to decide if I would trade my 1290R Super Duke for a 2020 Freeride electric. As cool as I think this bike is, the thing that's giving me pause is still the battery endurance. Even if I spent the $3,700 for an extra battery, getting 2 - 3 hours of ride time still probably doesn't make it my go-to bike for trips up into PA from Annapolis. It would open up the opportunity to do a little riding closer to home without wigging out some neighbors.

I think I just answered my own question. For nearly $15K (bike + spare battery) it makes no sense for stealthy rides near home.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Looks like I have ZERO money not KTM money :lol2:
Didn’t realize they can cost that much, thought they’ve gone down some. What’s everybody’s take on the Zero brand? Junk, waste of money? Been watching their prices for the last few years.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fx
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Zero doesn't make a full on dirt bike, right? There's a guy at work who has been commuting on a zero for years. He's quite happy with his. He's been charging it in the garage with a regular extension cord.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I believe its just the DS other than the street bikes. Showa f/r with 9” travel.
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Zero FX and KTM E-XC are within 15% of price. ($9k vs $10.4). Both have ~3.6kWh batt and weight ~250#. I'd pick the KTM in a heart beat for off road. Zero is more dual-sporty but has no range to really do DS trips.

The Alta MXR/EXR has ~50% more battery than either but weighs 275# IIRC. Alta make significantly more power than the others.

Twist, I don't see much point in a spare batt for the E-XC if casual riding. Its not like you'll take it w/ you like a Rotopax full of gas. For 'around home' stealth riding you just take shorter trips. If up in PA and you're going to come back to the car to swap a pack anyway, why not just recharge (yes it requires a generator.) Eat lunch and stretch for an hr while it recharges? If riding MX and need to do near back to back races on a fixed schedule, having a spare to charge while the other is being used would make more sense.

The upcoming Sur-Ron Storm Bee slots in somewhere between the Zero/E-XC and the Alta. 260-280#(Alta territory) & ~4.6kWh batt (in between) and estimated $7k price (cheapest). I think it make more like Zero/KTM levels of power than the Alta. It has little wheels though 17 & 19". Not a full 18/21" setup.

If I go to the DAMN reunion this weekend w/ the family, I can charge the kid's LiPo batts from the van w/ my RC setup. I'll have to bring a generator to charge the Sur-Ron X as I don't have a big enough inverter installed yet (I'm installing 5kWh of house battery and have 500W of solar panels for the roof. This is just as much for camping and supporting my big RC habit than any e-bike application.) Electric not not a practical play-all-day machine yet. But those trips for me are very few and an e-bike/e-moto is a GREAT second toy.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

thanks Stephen, sounds like the Alta is the way to go if you can find one on a motivated sale. I see that Zero FX good for early sunday morning rides terrorizing the local sandpits. Not pissing the neighbors off rolling right out of the garage, being tagged is nice..quick fix to set the day off. The KTM would be awesome if your'e into riding hard like on motocross tracks for 20 minutes, rest and hit it again. Personally, for pride of ownership, Id have to give it to the KTM. So when are you getting one Twist :lol2:
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

aai wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 pm So when are you getting one Twist :lol2:
I think I've answered that question and would be more likely to engage on an electric trials bike than a trail bike. Even though it's quite a bit heavier than available enduros, I'm very happy with my WR250R for single track and the more challenging dual sport riding. It's bulletproof, low maintenance, and geared down, great for everything I've found so far in PA (Mountain Ridge, AOAA, Bald Eagle, etc)

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Twist, I don't see much point in a spare batt for the E-XC if casual riding. Its not like you'll take it w/ you like a Rotopax full of gas. For 'around home' stealth riding you just take shorter trips. If up in PA and you're going to come back to the car to swap a pack anyway, why not just recharge (yes it requires a generator.) Eat lunch and stretch for an hr while it recharges? If riding MX and need to do near back to back races on a fixed schedule, having a spare to charge while the other is being used would make more sense.
I haven't investigated this much but it looks like the charger for the KTM must be plugged into a 50Hz power source and they're saying in the reviews that it takes a special power outlet at home to charge it. Are there inverters available to supply 50Hz power from my truck? From a portable generator? I guess that might change the calculus if a solution exists there. It doesn't make sense that a bike sold in the US would require that so maybe I'm just not understanding the solution.