I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: MAVT Vintage trials 28 June

Post by Boom Boom »

The loop will have plenty of elevation change....not a flat area for walking but not a huge loop either. I will have a couple noobs I will be helping..just hunt me up and join in the fun. E-bikes are modern so sign up Modern and I have scene you ride at the farm with your e-bike. 3 line will be easy for you...2 you will drop a few points. Jump on MAVT site and print out sign up and Covid wavier....have prefilled so just a matter of handing over and the required fees....bring a pen to sign in at registration. They are going to run clip boards at the sections so no score cards to deal with or need to check in between loops...they will give you a number to wear like you would have for a foot race...should work fine for minimal personal contact. Parking is at a premium so no large toyhaulers please. I will be camping saturday and spending time saturday working with my new riders....tons of great free riding.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

smdub wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 pm Flyer says "spectator friendly". Does that mean there are stages you can easily walk to? Have a friend of a friend interested in coming to spectate.
Bring Greg and his EM!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Rut Row wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:10 pm nope. My knee is still problemtic and bride is waiting for a shoulder replacement.
Frankenstein and bride :deal: :lol2:
Bits and pieces. :killingme:

:peep:
Just trying to poke a little fun Ken.
Of course I hope all is well for you and yours (and your little dogs).
My knee is bad enough that I'm done on two wheels :frustrated:

I sold my EM and will be selling the Honda 350 projects soon. :cry:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Its one of Greg's friends actually. His friend bought an old Fantic monoshock and is getting it cleaned up. It still has a rear brake issue but the bigger problem at the moment is that he has an injured back. He'd like to come out and watch since he can't ride.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

smdub wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:57 am Its one of Greg's friends actually. His friend bought an old Fantic monoshock and is getting it cleaned up. It still has a rear brake issue but the bigger problem at the moment is that he has an injured back. He'd like to come out and watch since he can't ride.
Should be able to see half the sections with out much walk. Fantic mono.....do tell
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Boom Boom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:15 am The loop will have plenty of elevation change....not a flat area for walking but not a huge loop either. I will have a couple noobs I will be helping..just hunt me up and join in the fun. E-bikes are modern so sign up Modern and I have scene you ride at the farm with your e-bike. 3 line will be easy for you...2 you will drop a few points. Jump on MAVT site and print out sign up and Covid wavier....have prefilled so just a matter of handing over and the required fees....bring a pen to sign in at registration. They are going to run clip boards at the sections so no score cards to deal with or need to check in between loops...they will give you a number to wear like you would have for a foot race...should work fine for minimal personal contact. Parking is at a premium so no large toyhaulers please. I will be camping saturday and spending time saturday working with my new riders....tons of great free riding.
Now I'm questioning what line to ride, I had planned on the 3 line. What does the 2 line normally consist of? I can full lock turn, and hop smaller stuff, maybe medium stuff if there is enough room on either side of the obstacle. I can't hop the front into position and my static balance is still has room for improvement. I think I've gotten better at off camber turns. If i get 5 points in a section can I still complete it, just for fun?

Is there an opportunity to retry a section that kicks your butt, just for personal satisfaction, not scoring?

Sorry for all the question , just a noob myself and want to have a fun day riding, but still would like some challenge to improve.

Jason
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Jason you can ride line 2. Most of what you was riding at the farm was line 2. You will take more points missing gates till you get the hang of things. Remember this is vintage no stop...you stop and hop you get a 5. After the event you can go ride all you like for fun and any line.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

After 5 points, you can do anything you want in a section. :cheers: While I can probably ride some of the harder line obstacles, I'd likely net 5pts in every section. I still make dumb mistakes and forget the line I planned and almost miss gates. Screw up a little at the start and the best laid plans go out the window fast. Things go downhill as I get hot and tired too.

The 'gamesmanship' of trials is important. Remembering to get close to that tree, swing this line wide, correctly estimating your real turn radius w/ the bars not hitting a tree in the walkthrough, don't overshoot/miss that line marker on the ground, etc. Very much like autocrossing if you've ever tried that. The mental game / planning is as important as the being technically able to hop over stuff.

Edit: Being able to remember ~10 different lines is still difficult for me. By about the last lap I have a couple sections well memorized. I keep thinking I should take some notes on the back of the scorecard for each section. Some sort of shorthand of important things to remember. On the 2nd lap I still often find myself having to walk the course again to remember what I should be doing.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Good points and I am worse with that now having more limited vision. Use land marks to help like odd looking rocks and size of trees and helps a bunch if you ride behind someone riding the same line. Walk the line backwards...you may see a better line that you missed walking with the flow of the section. It is all in fun and cold beer at end of the day is the best self reward. With the Covid issues and first event I am sure some stumble blocks will show up but the organizer is one of the best and will be on his A game. When most organizations are giving up I give credit for them pushing forward and thinking outside of the box. What will be nice is since we will have no score cards and not have to return to the score table between loops we can start at any section and I feel sure they will suggest that.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I think Im still in.
Last season I only went to two different events. I rode the 4 line. This year Im going to bump up to the 3 line.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200