I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

7 Mtn Dual Sport 12 Sept

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
heydek
DAMN n00b

Re: 7 Mtn Dual Sport 12 Sept

Post by heydek »

trialsrider wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 pm
heydek wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:37 pm Alright, thanks for the info.
Not too sure about arriving there and trying to find riding buddies at the start. I'd prefer to fall back on this as plan B. So if someone is in a similar situation or doesn't mind me to tag along let me know. To give you an idea, this was our KAT ride report last year (the second one earlier this year went a lot smoother) https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-ken ... -38282920
Heydek,

I am planning on doing this ride. You are welcome to tag along with me if you want.

That's great, thanks man. I'll keep my distance/mask up when I don't have my helmet on, but it's good to know in case of trouble I don't have to solely rely on my gf who is in DC without a car. And vice versa happy to help out when needed of course.
I'll PM you later to make proper introductions :thumbup:

The organisation mentions navigation with roll charts, but also 'arrowed course'. So not sure what to make of it. Any insights? I don't have any experience with the old ways but happy to learn if needed.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

That's great, thanks man. I'll keep my distance/mask up when I don't have my helmet on, but it's good to know in case of trouble I don't have to solely rely on my gf who is in DC without a car. And vice versa happy to help out when needed of course.

The organisation mentions navigation with roll charts, but also 'arrowed course'. So not sure what to make of it. Any insights? I don't have any experience with the old ways but happy to learn if needed.
I'll be at the event as well as SJ, so there will be a couple of guys for you to ride with.

The roll chart is very similar to what you would get in an enduro, It will give you directions based on mileage. So alway set your Tripmeter to zero (if you can) at the start. It will say example "at 1.6 miles LT" (Left Turn) or maybe at 2.7 miles, RT right turn etc. It depends on the club but most use the same format. Also, the mileage is laid out by the club using their bikes and odometers, so your mileage could maybe match theirs closely or be off by tenths of a mile, so it it not uncommon to see mileage markers at turns and such, ALWAYS reset your tripmeter to what they list at signs and course markings etc. so you can try and stay close to their mileage.

more info here:
http://www.rollcharts.org/rollchartdef.html

As far as the course being arrowed, 99% of the time that is more than enough to stay on the course, but sometimes they get torn down or even moved by people who don't want the event, so that is where the roll chart is the answer. example, If you get to a intersection where the roll charts says go right but the arrows are set for a left, I would defer to the roll chart and turn right.

This is a cruise kinda event so, we will have fun and not try and run at a race pace. you won't hold anyone up. You'll need to pick up a roll chart holder if you want to run the roll chart. I'll have it loaded on my bike.

Here are some typical meanings for the stuff you'll see on the roll chart:

S = straight
R = right turn
L = left turn
BR = bear right (like at a fork in the road)
BL = bear left
X = cross
DR = dirt road (well maintained local dirt
roads)
FR = forest road (a...forest road, could be
paved, could be dirt)
JT = jeep trail (a FR that's a bit more "wild")
PR = paved road
GR = gravel or graded road
RR = railroad

STOP = stop (go figure, huh!)
RESET to xx.x= roll your trip meter until it's reset
to match the provided mileage at the given sign or marker
Gas Avail = means there's gas available at
this point or where the directions tell you to
go. It may be directly on the route or a
little ways off it.
Lots of cool bikes---
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

heydek wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:40 pm
trialsrider wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 pm
heydek wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:37 pm Alright, thanks for the info.
Not too sure about arriving there and trying to find riding buddies at the start. I'd prefer to fall back on this as plan B. So if someone is in a similar situation or doesn't mind me to tag along let me know. To give you an idea, this was our KAT ride report last year (the second one earlier this year went a lot smoother) https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-ken ... -38282920
Heydek,

I am planning on doing this ride. You are welcome to tag along with me if you want.

Good Explanation by Firebolter. Plenty of people ride without roll charts and just tag along with someone who has one or they wing it. You can usually follow the crowd and or people's tracks. Some of us like the entertainment of running a roll chart and thinking we know where we are going. :dry:

Come out and have a fun. It will be fine.

Firebolter knows where he is going. The most recent picture of his new bike has like 10, I mean 3 GPS devices and a satellite dish on it. He could find his way home from space. :killingme: Just kidding Bill, your bike and equipment look great :hi5:

I would actually have to ride my motorcycle to need that equipment.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

The most recent picture of his new bike has like 10, I mean 3 GPS devices and a satellite dish on it. He could find his way home from space. :killingme: Just kidding Bill, your bike and equipment look great :hi5:
That was a good one! :killingme: :killingme: :killingme:

but it was only 2 GPS' and a satellite dish!
Lots of cool bikes---
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Registration is full! I got put on a waiting list.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
heydek
DAMN n00b

Post by heydek »

Firebolter wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm

I'll be at the event as well as SJ, so there will be a couple of guys for you to ride with.

The roll chart is very similar to what you would get in an enduro, It will give you directions based on mileage. So alway set your Tripmeter to zero (if you can) at the start. It will say example "at 1.6 miles LT" (Left Turn) or maybe at 2.7 miles, RT right turn etc. It depends on the club but most use the same format. Also, the mileage is laid out by the club using their bikes and odometers, so your mileage could maybe match theirs closely or be off by tenths of a mile, so it it not uncommon to see mileage markers at turns and such, ALWAYS reset your tripmeter to what they list at signs and course markings etc. so you can try and stay close to their mileage.

more info here:
http://www.rollcharts.org/rollchartdef.html

As far as the course being arrowed, 99% of the time that is more than enough to stay on the course, but sometimes they get torn down or even moved by people who don't want the event, so that is where the roll chart is the answer. example, If you get to a intersection where the roll charts says go right but the arrows are set for a left, I would defer to the roll chart and turn right.

This is a cruise kinda event so, we will have fun and not try and run at a race pace. you won't hold anyone up. You'll need to pick up a roll chart holder if you want to run the roll chart. I'll have it loaded on my bike.

Here are some typical meanings for the stuff you'll see on the roll chart:

S = straight
R = right turn
L = left turn
BR = bear right (like at a fork in the road)
BL = bear left
X = cross
DR = dirt road (well maintained local dirt
roads)
FR = forest road (a...forest road, could be
paved, could be dirt)
JT = jeep trail (a FR that's a bit more "wild")
PR = paved road
GR = gravel or graded road
RR = railroad

STOP = stop (go figure, huh!)
RESET to xx.x= roll your trip meter until it's reset
to match the provided mileage at the given sign or marker
Gas Avail = means there's gas available at
this point or where the directions tell you to
go. It may be directly on the route or a
little ways off it.
That's great info, thanks for putting this together. Now for riding and figuring all this stuff out at the same time, that's gonna be interesting.... It's a pity there's no track gps file, would be a lot easier.
Looking forward to seeing you guys there. Got about another month to get somewhat in shape (who am I kidding) and finally hose off and check over the DR from the last trip.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Now for riding and figuring all this stuff out at the same time, that's gonna be interesting
It is easier than you think. Order a roll chart holder if you can, I might have a old extra one somewhere. It's chill and a fun ride.
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Heydek, I have a rollchart holder you can have/borrow if you want. I'll send you a PM.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
heydek
DAMN n00b

Post by heydek »

Bucho wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:30 pm Heydek, I have a rollchart holder you can have/borrow if you want. I'll send you a PM.
Thanks Bucho! Looking forward to giving it a try. Now I also will have to learn to use my trailtech dashboard for trip resets instead of just as a glorified speedo :think:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Heydek, I found my other roll chart holder. It is a good one, billet aluminum. Just make sure you have some big heavy duty zip ties. That's how I install them. Makes it easy to remove when the event is over.
Lots of cool bikes---