I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Cove - beginner loop?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Cove - beginner loop?

Post by smdub »

I'm likely meeting some friends at the Cove next mo for a little camping and riding. I've never been. Since they have a lake and such, wondering if we should bring the GFs/families. We're wondering what the advertised ~2mi beginner loop is like. I can only find pics/video of the harder stuff. Wife and kid don't need perfectly flat terrain. They can climb some smaller rock stuff once in a while and an occasional log but won't enjoy fields of boulders. Has anyone here gone on the beginner trail?
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Cove - beginner loop?

Post by Wingfixer »

I've been to the cove several times. I'm not sure what they are calling the "beginner" loop. I would guess the orange trail? That or the blue trail that goes the other way from the parking lot is the easiest stuff I can think of. The orange trail is a loop, the blue would be an out and back once you get to the hill climb. Everything is rocky! I wouldn't turn a first timer loose on most of anything there.

ETA Ok, I looked at their website, they're calling the green loop the beginner loop, I guess. No, that section isn't too bad, more of a rocky jeep type road. You could actually go a little ways up the blue trail from the top of the green loop to find some similar but slightly harder riding.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

What he said---Cove should be synonymous with Rocks!
Lots of cool bikes---
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Mountain ridge would be the only place within the area I would send newbies loose on. Maybe taskers , but that’s only the main road.
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'll echo the other guys. Their beginner green loop is a bit of a joke. Yes, kind of a jeep trail with lots of small rocks. Probably not bad for beginners on quads.

While its not "too bad", its probably rockier than any beginner would want.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Mountain Ridge or Rock Run have camping and far more beginner friendly stuff.
I like the Cove and great people running the place but beginner friendly it is not.https://www.rockrunrecreation.com/
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

A friend and I took our kids up to Mountain Ridge a few weeks ago and there are some really nice beginner trails there. Interesting enough for Dad and fun for the kids to build their confidence. Plenty of camping space but no trees or shade in that area so bring a canopy for hanging out.

There's several videos on YouTube that show the Mountain Ridge Gunner trail. That would be my first choice for introducing someone to trail riding.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Thanks for the feedback all! Mountain Ridge/Rock Run are too far north though for this crew. Most of them from VA and we're trying to talk another bud (and his wife) from NC to pop up for the weekend. The guys would like to ride the hard trails @ Cove but thought it would be fun to bring the familys and ride a little w/ them too.

Thanks Twist, I watched the Mountain Ridge Gunners trail vid. I see I might need to clarify my terms. The wife and kid are beginners not newbs:) Wife used to mtb before the kid was born. That trail they'd prob both ride around pinned throttle (the kid for SURE.) They can ride most obstacles and hills they can roll (~8" log?). Neither know how to move body weight around much and can't lift the front wheel.

Both have done the Tomahawk MX trail; the hardest thing they've tried. Some random person's vid I found below of that. Skip to the 6min mark to see the rocky hillclimb (that is steeper than it looks.) They both can do all that w/ some difficulty (but w/o assistance) but wouldn't enjoy the ride if the trail was ALL that hard.

I think I've finally found a Cove Green trail video (description doesn't say it the Cove in VA though). This looks doable. The climb where he gets hung up might cause a little bit of fun/trouble but its not all like that.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Granvilles has lots of open and easy riding and plenty of harder stuff to entertain, lots of camping area and he is the best host. I would seriously look to attend his ride weekend this month. The other places you can ride anytime.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yes, but Granville isn't having an event on the weekend of the 19th. Its hard herding cats. Thats the date we could all agree on to get everyone together.