I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

wannabe rider saying hi

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

wannabe rider saying hi

Post by 1AHBE »

HI!
i bought a ktm 450 xcw at the urging of my friends. so far i've been to hatfield mccoy once and i'm going again in november... quite an eye-opener! i'm super-excited about going again in a few weeks.

I've been wanting to do some more trail riding (other than visiting hatfield mccoy twice a year), but none of my friends want to ride as much as me --atleast in the dirt.... anyways, i really want to get my skills up. i think going to those organize enduro events is a good way to do it. do i have to get a plate on my 450? how much experience do i need?

(my bike on the left)
Not drinking any orange kool aid or anything...that 450 was put on craigslist at the right time and I snatched it! :fitz:

my other kewl ride is a ktm 690 enduro. it's so sweet. a good friend of mine just finished a TAT ride on the same bike. i'd like to do the same trip...when i dont suck so much. the most i've done on the 690 (besides some local gravel) was ride around florida's sugar sand. the bike totally rocked it. imma gonna be honest...it was sometimes scary as hell. :roost:
that's another bike that i ought to be riding more. :boohoo:

Hmmm...so do I sound like a DAMN wannabe? :jack: Well hopefully you'll see me out there... :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: wannabe rider saying hi

Post by Rut Row »

:welcome:

you'll fit in well here. Watch for the Hammer Run announcements - you'll have a blast.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Welcome :cheers: .
You will want to get a plate on it or miss out on some great organized rides like Hammer Run, PaTRA 7 mountains, RORR.
Shade Mountain is closed now till after deer season, but if we have a mild winter a couple rides is normally fit in before the snow is deep. You have Mountain Ridge that is still open for a little while and The Cove that offer pay to ride opportunities and plenty of challenge. If you want to sharpen your tight woods skills keep and eye out for when I post rides at our farm (Boom Boom's woods loop) and come have a try at a couple loops.
Hatfield is a fun place but plenty of good riding much closer to home.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Welcome! you're in Ellicott City? Where did you learn to ride offroad? I'm just a bit down the road in Woodbine.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Howdy new guy.

Its probably worth getting a tag for your 450. Some of the enduros are completely closed course and you don't need a tag, but a lot of them you do. It also opens up some of the really fun organized dualsport events, like the HammerRun in NJ, DurtyDabbers up in PA, and the Shennendoah 500 down in VA.

Come out to Grandville's ride in a few weeks. Lots of good riding there.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

Kyler wrote::welcome:

you'll fit in well here. Watch for the Hammer Run announcements - you'll have a blast.
The vids on youtube look kewl! I'll be at hatfield mccoy at that time, though.

Boom Boom wrote:Welcome :cheers: .
You will want to get a plate on it or miss out on some great organized rides like Hammer Run, PaTRA 7 mountains, RORR.
Shade Mountain is closed now till after deer season, but if we have a mild winter a couple rides is normally fit in before the snow is deep. You have Mountain Ridge that is still open for a little while and The Cove that offer pay to ride opportunities and plenty of challenge.
The Cove...? Wasn't that a movie? You don't want to google that.... :barf:
Ok, my new project is to plate my xcw....!! Plenty of info online. I hope it works out.... :pray:
Boom Boom wrote: If you want to sharpen your tight woods skills keep and eye out for when I post rides at our farm (Boom Boom's woods loop) and come have a try at a couple loops.
Hatfield is a fun place but plenty of good riding much closer to home.
Ok I will keep an eye out in the rides section. Nice to know there's good riding nearby. Keeping the dream alive.
I need to work on the amount of towage I can handle with my current 4 wheeled vehicles. Right now it's at 0 tons....I'm working on that...
BillyGoat wrote:Welcome! you're in Ellicott City? Where did you learn to ride offroad? I'm just a bit down the road in Woodbine.
Yup. I'm relatively new to HoCo. I've been checking the paved roads out. There are some surprisingly nice twisty roads closeby -- to the north and south of us.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Oh, If you want twisty roads, you HAVE to explore all the old narrow twisty roads in and around Old Ellicott City...there are no straight roads anywhere. It's awesome. But watch out for where gravel has washed across the roads in low spots and where there are intersections. Also along River Road it floods often so there's water and mud on the road. Just go into Old Ellicott City and take every side street to see where they go!
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
JMK015
DAMN n00b

Post by JMK015 »

Welcome! Nice bikes.

Where was the first pic you posted taken? Was that at Hatfield McCoy?
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

yeah it was at hatfield mccoy. i'm pretty sure it was the rockhouse trail system.
i'm going there soon. :loveit:
..and then i'll get my 450 bike plated... :pray:
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

So when you get the bike inspected, you need DOT approved tires....but when you ride in the organized enduros, etc...do people typically take non-DOT tires?
Basically I'm not sure if I should just buy any tire that fits or some really good DOT knobbies.

BTW, I had a blast at Hatfield Mccoy. It was crazy muddy.