I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New member from the Eastern Shore.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
trevorb
DAMN n00b

New member from the Eastern Shore.

Post by trevorb »

Hey everyone, new member here. I've ridden four wheelers around my farm and street bikes for about 10 years, but the WR250R I just picked up is my first dual sport. I've always been into street n twistys, dragons tail trips all the time, etc. But after a few days on my WR I think I can definitely get used to this!

I'm also looking for help on finding fun trails on the eastern shore or MD and VA and around DE. Can anyone help me out? All I've found with the search function is all the great trails you western shore folks have! I am very jealous!

I'll have to say that I was surprised at the lack of power compared to 250 off-roaders, but the reliability seems to be there and the 6speed is nice for cruising around back-roads. And I guess tame is better for trails anyway and the less power on the street is going to keep me from turning into a hooligan again I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for including me in what seems to be a great and informative site.

-Trevor

PS- I've tried to include a pic of the new ride.
Attachments
IMAG0460.jpg
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: New member from the Eastern Shore.

Post by Rut Row »

with back roads like that, you need to host a weekend ride! :roost:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

I'm also looking for help on finding fun trails on the eastern shore or MD and VA and around DE
If you find them - let me know

Welcome!
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Welcome! And yeah, post some info on where to find those roads!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

Welcome :cheers:

I started back on dirt with the WRR two years ago. It's anemic and heavy, and as the trails I rode got harder my arms got longer wrestling it. I haven't been on single track with it since I bought a more dirt worthy (and much less street worthy) bike, but it's stayed in my stable because it's fun on the roads, dirt or pavement, goes fast enough as long as you don't expect to over 70 when you want to and it's reliable as an anvil. I think it's a great choice for someone who's figuring out what direction they want to go in.
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

Longboardr wrote:Welcome :cheers:

I started back on dirt with the WRR two years ago. It's anemic and heavy, and as the trails I rode got harder my arms got longer wrestling it. I haven't been on single track with it since I bought a more dirt worthy (and much less street worthy) bike, but it's stayed in my stable because it's fun on the roads, dirt or pavement, goes fast enough as long as you don't expect to over 70 when you want to and it's reliable as an anvil. I think it's a great choice for someone who's figuring out what direction they want to go in.
Thanks for the solid info. It's funny you say heavy, to me compared to my cbr1000 and especially my Blackbird it feels like a toy. I can only imagine what a true mx style dirt-machine feels like.

To others concerning the roads in the pic. I actually didn't know that road existed either until Sunday. I didn't grow up here. There's a ton of them apparently through Worcester and Somerset Counties from what a friend is telling me I'll fill you in once I explore a little. There is a lot of dirt from what I've seen so far and logging roads, but they all have barriers up so I haven't crossed those yet. I've been living in Salisbury and Ocean City and never been through there.

Look through google maps in that area and you can see a lot of dirt roads and the logging roads I'm talking about. Here is approximately where that picture was taken:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bear+ ... 2348?hl=en

I don't know of any trails in this area yet, but if any of you have road going bikes the best roads on the Eastern Shore run through lower Dorchester County BTW. A few names are Elliots Island, Maple Dam, Bestpitch, etc. There are some twistys and no traffic so cops are not an issue I've seen 1 in 4+ years, but it's all through swamp and Blackwater refuge so very nice scenery if you're ever over this way. Just watch for Sika, whitetail, and drunk water-men they're everywhere.

Here's an approximate area for fun on a sport bike, there are some tiny single lane tar n chip roads to explore around here too:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4099532 ... !1e3?hl=en
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Howdy new guy.

Ha ha, its all very relative. Long ago before I got married and had a mortage I used to have a BMW R1150GS. When I sold that for a Suzuki DR650, the DR felt super light. I rode that bike for years, did single track and all kinds of stuff with it. The more single track I did I finally got a KTM 300 two stroke. Its an honest 100 lbs lighter then my DR. Its all relative.

Ive been lucky enough to borrow a friend's Yamaha WR250R. Ive ridden miles of dirt road and single track with it. I think its a great bike. Especially in the dualsport sense of the word. Though not a great highway bike it can still do it all. If you come along on any of our dirt rides Id be happy to swap bikes. My 300EXC is a good bit lighter.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

Bucho wrote:Howdy new guy.

Ha ha, its all very relative. Long ago before I got married and had a mortage I used to have a BMW R1150GS. When I sold that for a Suzuki DR650, the DR felt super light. I rode that bike for years, did single track and all kinds of stuff with it. The more single track I did I finally got a KTM 300 two stroke. Its an honest 100 lbs lighter then my DR. Its all relative.

Ive been lucky enough to borrow a friend's Yamaha WR250R. Ive ridden miles of dirt road and single track with it. I think its a great bike. Especially in the dualsport sense of the word. Though not a great highway bike it can still do it all. If you come along on any of our dirt rides Id be happy to swap bikes. My 300EXC is a good bit lighter.
I'm glad I keep hearing good things about the WR. You're right about everything being relative, I remember the first time I drove a car and thought it was fast, then I got a sport bike and found out what it really felt like haha. I appreciate the offer, I'd definitely like to someday but let me get my skills up first. I don't want to be that noob that crashes and ruins the trip!

I have friends that ride around Anne Arundel County a lot, I'm heading up that way Sunday to find out where they ride. Off-road is all new to me so I'm sure I'll be smiling like a schoolgirl the whole day and can't wait!

Thanks again,

Trevor
vetteguy
DAMN n00b

Post by vetteguy »

Welcome.I ride on the street also but riding off road is an adrenaline rush you just cant get on the street.
2002 XR400 (sold), 2007 KTM 450 exc
2001 XR200, 2004 Harley 1200R, 2004 CRF250X (son)
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Post by trevorb »

vetteguy wrote:Welcome.I ride on the street also but riding off road is an adrenaline rush you just cant get on the street.
You're right about that! I got into some serious mud and trails for the first time this weekend. I never knew single-track could be so much fun and dangerous haha. I'm sore as hell limping into work today after crashing twice yesterday, good thing I didn't buy a new bike! I had a blast and besides the dragons tail and track days on my CBR1000 it was the best days of riding I've ever had. Now I'm off to order a new shifter and some pads.