I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Any recommendations on Fork Straightening?

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Any recommendations on Fork Straightening?

Post by BigBird »

When I recently replaced the fork seals on Stacey's FrankenBeta 80 I saw that the little Paioli 32MM fork tubes are bent at the lower triple clamp. My guess is this if from some Old FAT Guy riding it??? DUH!

SO I need to straighten then - which I think takes a press and some skill and patience.

Does anyone have access to a press or can you recommend a shop to do it?

ALSO - Do they have to be disassembled - OR could one do it with the lowers still attached (since there is more of the tube showing below the bend than above anyway?

THANKS!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Any recommendations on Fork Straightening?

Post by Boom Boom »

You wanted to add rake to the front, now you have extra rake and not happy. Just no pleasing you.
I say just spin 180 degrees in the clamp and keep riding it.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I actually thought about that (for a couple of seconds until I woke up) - :lol2: - But as I'm sure you know, what I now have (with bent back forks) adds quite a bit of trail which makes the bike more stable (more like an enduro/mx bike) I imagine it would be SCARY with them turned around and having much less trail than even the original trials geometry.

For those that are not deep into suspension geometry - adding rake to get more trail only works if done at the steering stem (by changing the angle there OR by dropping the rear which does the same thing).
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I have a spare set of 950. Forks if you want more ground clearance. LOL
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I was going to say spinning the forks around would be a bad idea for the reasons you gave. :)

I just had forks straightened a couple weeks ago, but I can't recommend the shop that I used. They charged $85 (one hour shop rate) and didn't even use a wooden block in the press so I can see little hash marks on my forks from where the press pushed down on it.

You need to remove the tubes from the lowers. They'll get in the way while trying to straighten the tubes. This is work you can do yourself, but it requires a strong press, heat, and a lot of patience.

I did find a shop in southern maryland that looked like they would probably do a good job, but they were about $100 for the pair and far from you.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Sam,
I have no skill but I do have a press. If you want to try your hand.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!