I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What's this D*MN place all about?

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
John L
DAMN n00b

What's this D*MN place all about?

Post by John L »

Hello to all... I'm new to the forum and just checking in.

I am 50 years old, live near Greencastle, Pa. and ride...

- KTM 450 SXF
- Polaris Rzr 800 S
- Polaris 500 sportsman 4 wheeler

My very favorite ride spots thus far are all distant, lengthy trips out in the western states but closer to home I love going up to RAC on the dirt bike. I also enjoy Michaeux, Sideling Hill, and Martin Hill on the 4 wheeler and Rzr.

I am hoping to connect with some here for additional local riding opps on my bike. I'm also in the process of installing lights, mirror, horn on my KTM for a Minnesota plate.. with the hopes to simplify very short road trips from trail system to trail system as needed, gas fill-ups, etc.

Lots of info on here, I will be reading, thanks to all who post!
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: What's this D*MN place all about?

Post by Laoch »

Welcome John.
It's not too difficult to get a dirt bike plated in PA.
Does Minnesota have a secret?
Bruce
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

Thank you. I came across several threads (elsewhere) mentioning some PA riders that were plating in MN or VT because of various probs? I'm sorry, I don't remember what all was said. I actually haven't mailed anything off yet. I read on both MN and VT DMV websites that listed an out-of-state registration but would certainly rather do it in PA.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Most of the people I know who have done the VT reg are with bikes that came with no title or MSO, or bikes with a title stating "Off Road" for vehicle type.

Having a KTM, you won't have a problem getting it registered assuming you have the paperwork and equipment, as KTM doesn't brand their vehicles as "Off Road."

As to riding opportunities, you aren't far from some really great riding areas, but getting access to them is a bit tougher, as they are private land. The guys on here do a great job of posting up rides and events. You might also want to look into the R&T club out of Frederick, MD. If you see an opportunity for a GMER "workday", take advantage of it, as the enduro is based out of Three Springs, PA, about an hour from you. Boyer's Farm shouldn't be much further away, and R&T has a few events there.
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

Excellent, thanks I will look for those. I'm just now researching the threads.. you guys really have a lot here.

You are right, my KTM title does not state "off-road only". I will call the notary in the morning and see if it's very difficult.

Pffft - I just called notary. She says bring in a picture of the VIN number on frame, the title, my existing motorcycle insurance policy, and a check. I'm a moron... looks like maybe its a no-problem. I'm going in the morning.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

good luck and

:welcome: to the funny farm!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

John L wrote:Excellent, thanks I will look for those. I'm just now researching the threads.. you guys really have a lot here.

You are right, my KTM title does not state "off-road only". I will call the notary in the morning and see if it's very difficult.

Pffft - I just called notary. She says bring in a picture of the VIN number on frame, the title, my existing motorcycle insurance policy, and a check. I'm a moron... looks like maybe its a no-problem. I'm going in the morning.
:lol2:
Remember...inspections are optional :deal:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Hi new guy, I went up to the RAC to ride a couple times this season. Lots of fun single track if you know where to look.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

Well this is a wicked googilly. Hit a $peed bump....

The guy I bought it from in MO Never titled it. What I have is the certificate of origin from KTM with his name entered as the purchaser on back. Until I get his name in front, I can't move forward in PA with s title change to me.

I called him. He's very willing to take this certificate to MIssouri DMV and do what I need. I think my pricey hiccup is going to be that they will want a 6.225% sales tax on his original purchase and also an unknown penalty fee for being late at titling it. I have a copy of the (somewhat legible) bill of sale from when he bought it new. There was no sales tax collected that I can tell.

I don't like it of course. But I really want a street plate on my bike, and I REALLY want a PA plate cause that would make the most sense now that you guys have mentioned it. I still think I can get it from Minnesota but that isn't a great solution. I carry PA drivers license.

Any ideas before I cash out the christmas club fund for the betterment of MO?
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

Bucho - yes you are right. I have come across some great single track at RAC also. I get their permit every year. It's about the cost of a couple dinners with the family. For being within a couple hours of home, it's GREAT.

I'm perusing all of the ride threads you guys have posted. Taskers really looks Rocky. I still want to go give it a shot sometime.

My bike gets hot if I don't keep it rolling along. Therefore I avoid the excessively Rocky portions even up at RAC. I've been researching a radiator fan but most online sources state I don't have enough wattage from my stator to run it. Still deciding on that. Ebay has tons of VERY low amp draw fans I have been thinking about.
Last edited by John L on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.