I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Guy from Gaithersburg

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
JayMoto
DAMN n00b

New Guy from Gaithersburg

Post by JayMoto »

I'm a road rider, but have been seriously tempted by the dual sport options out there. My goal is to have a light and fun supermoto to compliment my current bike, a 2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848. I'm still kicking tires on bikes and Google searching every model under the sun, but I'm hoping to have something around by early or mid spring.

None of my friends ride, so I'd love to meet some motorcyclists around the area. Thanks for the add
Jay
· 2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: New Guy from Gaithersburg

Post by Bucho »

Howdy J, glad you made it over to DAMN. Hopefully with a supermoto as entry into the dirt realm we can slowly corrupt you.

As weather is getting nicer come out to ride. Most of us have street bikes too but we dont always do formal street rides on the site. Feel free to post up and start a DAMN street ride. Ken needs someone to get him out on his FZ9 anyway.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

Welcome to the group!!
Glenduro
Been there, Done that , and bought the replacement parts
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
JayMoto
DAMN n00b

Post by JayMoto »

Thanks for the invite to the group, Bucho! I'm looking forward to meeting new riders that don't:
1- think I'm boy-racer since I own a Ducati
or
2- think it's crazy that I don't own a Harley

Had a guy decide we couldn't ride together anymore because I sold my Sportster :D
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yes, its pretty annoying that most Americans think motorcycles are either Harley-Davidsons or crotch rocket/race bikes. And nothing else exists.

Goodluck looking at sumos. I hope you can find something to fit the bill.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
rurumonster
DAMN Wanabe

Post by rurumonster »

Hey dude, welcome. I've got a SM setup for my Huskie 501 and I love it. It's fantastic having two bikes in one.

Happy to help advise on striking the balance.
Husqvarna TE 300
KTM SMR
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote:Yes, its pretty annoying that most Americans think motorcycles are either Harley-Davidsons or crotch rocket/race bikes. And nothing else exists.
Yep, kind of funny to me. I've got both a cbr1000rr and a versys. Both have been called crotch rockets. I'm not a fan of the term for any bike but my versys (adv styled road bike) definitely is not one. The cbr is a fun, comfortable bike that just happens to be capable of 180mph. I managed to look down at the dash on it at the right time a couple days ago and saw all 5s (55,555 miles). ;)
JayMoto
DAMN n00b

Post by JayMoto »

rurumonster wrote:Hey dude, welcome. I've got a SM setup for my Huskie 501 and I love it. It's fantastic having two bikes in one.

Happy to help advise on striking the balance.
I might take you up on that offer! I'm looking at a TE510 and would like to have a wheel setup that I could switch back and forth with over an hour or so.
rurumonster
DAMN Wanabe

Post by rurumonster »

JayMoto wrote: I might take you up on that offer! I'm looking at a TE510 and would like to have a wheel setup that I could switch back and forth with over an hour or so.

An hour is definitely do-able. The first couple times it took me longer to get the hang of it, but I can do street -> dirt in about 45 minutes (with beer breaks) and a bit longer going the other way. The thing that takes the longest is just finding that magic set of conditions that allow you wedge that fat front wheel in between the forks while sliding the disc into the pads...I swear it's more art than anything else.

You can get a pair of warp 9 wheels + tires and a caliper offset for around a grand as bare bones, everything else you get is just icing on the cake. Don't forget a new kickstand, you'll be sitting a few inches lower and the HD owners don't take kindly to you leaning up against them.
Husqvarna TE 300
KTM SMR