I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual Sport Advice Needed

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Dual Sport Advice Needed

Post by Twist »

John F wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am I passed on the KTM RFS bike, and went to JT with my truck and tie-downs for the KTM 500. Test rode it and it just didn't do it for me. It vibrated through the pegs really badly above 45 or 50 mph or so. The suspension was also really stiff and had almost no sag when I sat on it. And the service records were spotty at best. So, I'd have to get the suspension serviced and lowered, and probably would try to get a set of those cool and expensive pegs that supposedly isolate vibration. That stuff adds up quick. Then, the other day I went to Pete's and test rode one of their used WR250s. I really liked it, and that's most likely what I'm going to get. It was smooth on the road, lowering it is easy, and I've read enough here and there about it off road that gives me the impression it'l do what I want. Cool bike. So, I'm on the hunt for a clean WR250R.
I hope you have better luck than I did on finding a clean used WRR. I looked within a 200 mile radius of Annapolis MD and found several but the owners or dealers were deluded about what they were worth. If Pete's still has the '14 with 2K miles on it I will pass along that I went back and forth with them and the final offer I walked away from was $4,700 OTD. That's probably not a bad price (and substantially less than they have it listed for) but I found a new '18 in PA for $6K OTD - the warranty and new bike smell :huh: was worth the difference to me. Pete's wanted over $6K OTD for their '17 which was more than I paid for a new '18.

Look around on ADVrider. A good used one will show up there from time to time that has already been farkled. I lurked for a while but got impatient and pulled the trigger on one in PA. Another buddy found one on ADVrider in northern PA, a 2010 with 9,000 miles on it fully equipped for fun for $3,800.

I'm surprised by the spunk this little 250 has. Not the pop of the KTMs or even a DRZ400 but I'm hoping that rejiggering the final drive on it will help with that a bit.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Twist-

Thanks. Pete's sold that WR250 about 2 hours after I rode it. I've been checking ADV and CL. I've found some good bikes on CL, but they're overpriced compared to new. When you say $6K OTD, does that include MD tax and tags? Are you in Annapolis? I live on Kent Island. I'm going to give it some time before I go new, but that may be the thing to do. Of course, then I get to the "if I'm spending $6K for a WR, then I may as well spend $8K for a KTM 250, and if I'm doing that, I may as well spend $9500 for a Husky 450, and then ..." I really liked that WR.

John
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:33 am
John F wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 am I passed on the KTM RFS bike, and went to JT with my truck and tie-downs for the KTM 500. Test rode it and it just didn't do it for me. It vibrated through the pegs really badly above 45 or 50 mph or so. The suspension was also really stiff and had almost no sag when I sat on it. And the service records were spotty at best. So, I'd have to get the suspension serviced and lowered, and probably would try to get a set of those cool and expensive pegs that supposedly isolate vibration. That stuff adds up quick. Then, the other day I went to Pete's and test rode one of their used WR250s. I really liked it, and that's most likely what I'm going to get. It was smooth on the road, lowering it is easy, and I've read enough here and there about it off road that gives me the impression it'l do what I want. Cool bike. So, I'm on the hunt for a clean WR250R.
I hope you have better luck than I did on finding a clean used WRR. I looked within a 200 mile radius of Annapolis MD and found several but the owners or dealers were deluded about what they were worth. If Pete's still has the '14 with 2K miles on it I will pass along that I went back and forth with them and the final offer I walked away from was $4,700 OTD. That's probably not a bad price (and substantially less than they have it listed for) but I found a new '18 in PA for $6K OTD - the warranty and new bike smell :huh: was worth the difference to me. Pete's wanted over $6K OTD for their '17 which was more than I paid for a new '18.

Look around on ADVrider. A good used one will show up there from time to time that has already been farkled. I lurked for a while but got impatient and pulled the trigger on one in PA. Another buddy found one on ADVrider in northern PA, a 2010 with 9,000 miles on it fully equipped for fun for $3,800.

I'm surprised by the spunk this little 250 has. Not the pop of the KTMs or even a DRZ400 but I'm hoping that rejiggering the final drive on it will help with that a bit.

The WR250Rs do seem to hold their value. Ive been thinking about replacing my DR650 with one. Ten year old ones are still in the high $3K range. My old bike still works so Ill keep it a bit longer but maybe when one of those “rare deals” pops up
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

John F wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:31 am Twist-

Thanks. Pete's sold that WR250 about 2 hours after I rode it. I've been checking ADV and CL. I've found some good bikes on CL, but they're overpriced compared to new. When you say $6K OTD, does that include MD tax and tags? Are you in Annapolis? I live on Kent Island. I'm going to give it some time before I go new, but that may be the thing to do. Of course, then I get to the "if I'm spending $6K for a WR, then I may as well spend $8K for a KTM 250, and if I'm doing that, I may as well spend $9500 for a Husky 450, and then ..." I really liked that WR.

John
PM sent.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Picked this up. It came with all the stock WR250R stuff (wheels, tires, plastics, etc.) so I can switch it back and forth from supermoto to DS. Thanks for all the advice.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2015-yam ... h.1365114/
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

John F wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:47 pm Picked this up. It came with all the stock WR250R stuff (wheels, tires, plastics, etc.) so I can switch it back and forth from supermoto to DS. Thanks for all the advice.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2015-yam ... h.1365114/
That will be perfect for you!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Very cool. I had dirt wheels for my X but I sold them. The idea of swapping stuff sounds good but I'm way too lazy in practice. :)
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Thanks. Registered and tagged. Looking forward to exploring some DS places with DAMN riders.