I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Suspension advice - Shop for lowering?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Suspension advice - Shop for lowering?

Post by Twist »

I'm familiar with these guys:

https://www.mrpmotorsports.com

They have a great reputation for the track day guys for suspension set up. Give them a call to see if they can help you on your Husky. They're in Pasadena MD.

But again, I think you can probably reduce your reach to the ground by nearly 2" by getting a lower seat and looking to see if there's any adjustment left on the shock to drop it a bit. I got nearly a inch lower out of my WR250R with by running up the locking nut at the bottom of the shock. That and a Seat Concepts low seat got me comfortable on that bike without having to also adjust the forks.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Bucho wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 pm I can understand lowering the bike a little for those with wee shanks.
There cons/benefits to it.
Bucho Id have to say cons/benefits is putting it politely..more or less the necessary evil for some lol. I haven't met you guys yet and Im already feeling inadequate :huh: Its either look at the bike sitting on the garage floor since its so friggin tall or actually hammer time down a fire road to the scenic views. :cheers: Actually my first bike of choice was the KTM 790R for what Id like to do. Then rethought this with the 501S, get the same full on adjustable travel once set up, clearances, and 100lbs lighter. Never really thought about the pleasures of single tracking to be honest, at least not with this bike. I do admit, I have been lusting for a scalpel like the beta evo sport if ever for the super gnarly stuff.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_cad.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_cab.jpeg
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

aai wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm
Bucho wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 pm I can understand lowering the bike a little for those with wee shanks.
There cons/benefits to it.
Bucho Id have to say cons/benefits is putting it politely..more or less the necessary evil for some lol. I haven't met you guys yet and Im already feeling inadequate :huh: Its either look at the bike sitting on the garage floor since its so friggin tall or actually hammer time down a fire road to the scenic views. :cheers: Actually my first bike of choice was the KTM 790R for what Id like to do. Then rethought this with the 501S, get the same full on adjustable travel once set up, clearances, and 100lbs lighter. Never really thought about the pleasures of single tracking to be honest, at least not with this bike. I do admit, I have been lusting for a scalpel like the beta evo sport if ever for the super gnarly stuff.
Yes, I have long legs and touching the ground isn't an issue for me. In a perfect world, you don't actually NEED to touch the ground. And if you do everything right its no big deal. But it still sounds like you will dropping the bike a lot!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

It's not too unusual for me to have to stop in a less than perfect location because someone ahead of me had an issue and stopped in the trail, often uphill. I've fallen down too many times to count in those kinds of situations where I put my foot down and the ground is not there. I totally understand wanting to lower the bike. I've also really nailed big rocks with my skid plate and totally understand not wanting to lose any ground clearance. :killingme:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

a little dab there, a little throttle blip here and just act like you've done this before :freakey:
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Just as an FYI, I wound up using Rob at MotoLab. He's very familiar with lowering KTMs/Huskys, and after doing some internet research and talking to Sonny, I decided to go with him. When I called around to other shops, and I called a few, some had done suspension work (revalves. springs) but not lowering. Rob has done a lot of them. Easy transaction, and it took about 10 days start to finish. He had to order fork springs for me. Anyway, hopefully it rides well. I can now at least get the balls of my feet down.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

what's the verdict John? Have you had a chance to take her out.
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I've only ridden the Husky around my yard and down the street. I'm really looking forward to getting it out where I can ride it. The bike feels great lowered. Its at about the same height as my KTM 300 (also lowered, but differently). On my KTM, what I lost in suspension travel I think I just about made up in cornering--it feels like it turns better lowered (lower cg). Anyway, for woods riding, its a must for me. For MX (which I haven't done in 40 years) I wouldn't need it, and didn't when long travel bikes first came out. You only needed to put a foot down at a the line and back at the truck. I'm hoping to get out before it gets too cold.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I decided to send my suspension to Motolab. Gonna have it lowered 20mm or 7/8" . And get correct springs/valving for my big ass.
Now to get busy wrenching.
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

A friend and I had our WR250R bikes scheduled in with Travis at Go Race in Christiansburg VA but were thwarted by the pandemic. I hear nothing but great things about his work on suspension tuning and I too have to account for my larger than design spec corpulence. When life starts returning to normal, we'll definitely be headed down there for the work.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain