I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Recommend a Mechanic/Shop

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Re: Recommend a Mechanic/Shop

Post by bonehead »

stretchride wrote:
opey521 wrote:Just got registered as a DAMN rider as Im moving to Pax River on orders in the next month or so. Im looking for a reliable and affordable mechanic to work on my 08 xr650l. I am looking to do a tranny adjustment to add the 2nd and 5th gears from the NX650. Also, Im considering a bore and a 10.5 JE p piston as the entire motor is going to be apart anyway. Im handy enough to get the engine out, but have no experience with internals other than simple valve adjustments, and I have done stator work in the past. Who do you recommend? And any idea what I should expect to pay? I appreciate all the help. Looking forward to get back stateside and start riding!!!
Don't have a shop to recommend but in case you don't already look at ADVrider, here is a link to where the XR650l guru's hang out:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114834
That's a massive thread, but many guys have done the mods you're planning, including recently. Give it a search or post up your question... I actually went back about a year and just started reading to learn about the bike.

This one is one of the guru's (Steve) engine build thread where a lot can be learned:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713831
A lot of guys pack up their motors and send to him, though its awfully far from here in San Francisco. The ultimate XR650l motor mod guy seems to be Cycle Wizard, you'll find plenty of info on his stuff and I think he's in the mid-west.
CW is in flint Michigan. My son has a motor built by him.

Steve is a major xrl guru. Awesome guy, I have talked with him a dozen times.

Do you have the 2nd and 5th nx gears? Both are great changes but unless you build a big thumper the 5th overdrive won't be needed.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!