I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

BLASPHEMY! Chain Lubrication

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

BLASPHEMY! Chain Lubrication

Post by Rut Row »

One of my favorite topics is chain lubrication, specifically o-ring or x-ring chains. I have long maintained that lubricating an o-ring or x-ring chain is unnecessary other than to prevent rust. Of course, the chain lube makers disagree--it is after all a huge business selling chain lube!

So I spent some time searching the two most common chain manufacturers web sites for maintenance and lubrication information.

I'll quote RK and this is my new stance, "The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out." Below is my cites and quotes.

DID Chains http://www.didchain.com

RK Chains http://www.rkexcelamerica.com

DID does describe how to lube their chains but is totally silent on any requirement to lube their chains. Both company's warranty is silent on lubricating the chains.

RK, on the other hand, is rather specific.

From http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/faq.html#oring
Q How should I maintain my O-ring chain?

A. Doing routine maintenance on any chain is a crucial step to getting the maximum wearlife out of your chain. You should clean and check its adjustment every 400 miles (sooner if the chain gets excessively dirty). Use formulated O-ring chain cleaner or other similar product to keep dirt from building up around link plates and rollers. Don’t use a wire brush or pressure washer. If your chain comes in contact with water, be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40). Lubing an O-Ring chain is vital for maximum wearlife. All RK O-Ring chains are injected at the factory with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant. The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out. Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains.
RK's Street chain warrant
SPORTBIKE/STREET. All RK Sealed O-ring type chains feature heat treated hi-carbon alloy steel components with seamless rollers and shouldered bushings, and are fitted with a variety of O-ring seal designs. All RK O-ring seals are made from an advanced Nitrile Butadiene composite for maximum performance and wearlife. For more technical information click on the "O-ring Technical" category above. All RK sealed-ring Chains come with RK's exclusive 20,000 mile warranty. *Original purchased sealed ring chains, are warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for 20,000 miles of street riding or one-year of off-road use.
DID's warranty is here http://www.didchain.com/warranty.html. It is silent on lubrication too.

I rest my case.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: BLASPHEMY! Chain Lubrication

Post by Laoch »

Slow morning?

FWIW- I do WD-40 only on O-ring chains and heavy gear oil (75-90w or similar) on non- O ring chains.
But then again I'm an idiot when it comes to bike maintenance
Bruce
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

So I guess I will give the deep fryer back to the wife.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

There is more than one place on a modern roller chain that needs lubrication. #1 in the illustration is the sealed area,#2 is the area that benefits from user applied lubrication. My Tuono's chain has well over 30K miles using the Dupont spray can stuff available at Lowes. Whatever helps you sleep at night but at $300+ per chain/sprockets I'll keep doing what works.

frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I use the the DuPont Teflon spray. I ride daily on and off road. It actually keeps the chain cleaner than no lube at all. Acumulation of dirt is what kills chains. I've tried everything and this is what I've settled on. :roost:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

frogman1981 wrote:I use the the DuPont Teflon spray. I ride daily on and off road. It actually keeps the chain cleaner than no lube at all. Acumulation of dirt is what kills chains. I've tried everything and this is what I've settled on. :roost:

+1
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I'm guilty of doing nothing & I am surprised at how well it has held up, with barely an adjustment. Anyone do the pickle yet?
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I use "Liquid Wrench Chain Lube" its cheap, o-ring compatible, and works great. It's foamy so it spreads across the chain "real nice" and coats everything well. Isn't sticky.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T