I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

99 KTM 300 EXC Ignition Problem - No Spark?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

99 KTM 300 EXC Ignition Problem - No Spark?

Post by BigBird »

Bucho's 99 300 EXC started (after sitting for a month) and was then ridden several miles to my house for a minor tail light wire repair.

After shutting it off and us fixing the tail light wire it wouldn't start.

There is no spark. I have disconnected all the various connectors and then did a ground continuity test of each of the 5 the stator wires to ground and got no continuity on any except the Yellow female spade connector which is a full ground (zero OHMS)

I then tested continuity between each possible pair of wires and found no continuity between any pair except the pair that are in a male/female 2 part connector which showed a little over 2 OHMS.

Are these test results NORMAL? Or does this indicate a stator problem?

ANY advice or comments welcome!

I already did trim a little off of the coil/plug wire and changed to a new plug but still NO JOY :frustrated:

The parts book shows the stator to be a 54739004100 STATOR KOKUSAN 2K-2 '97

The list of wires from the stator is:
Yellow - Female Spade
Red - Male single pin
Green - Female single pin
Red with White Stripe - Male part of 2 part connector
Black with Red Stripe - Female part of 2 part connector
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
restukey
DAMN Expert

Re: 99 KTM 300 EXC Ignition Problem - No Spark?

Post by restukey »

I would unplug the tail light harness and try again. If it were an electric start, I would look for a fuse inline somewhere? Don't think you have any fuses on that bike?
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

restukey wrote:I would unplug the tail light harness and try again. If it were an electric start, I would look for a fuse inline somewhere? Don't think you have any fuses on that bike?
The tail light harness is disconnected at the 3 prong plug upstream from where we did the repair. Actually the rest of the lighting harness is also unplugged.

Update:

I already did try a different coil off of another working bike with the associated plug wire and cap.

I also disconnected the kill button that had been added.

I have the left side handlebar switch control module (that also has a kill button disconnected)

Still no spark :<(

My assumption is that only the stator, the electronic module and the coil are required for ignition (like an SX). Please let me know if that is incorrect.

Thus, my current thinking is it is a bad electronic module or a bad stator. I don't have substitute parts available for this older bike to substitute.

Any help on where I go from here appreciated.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

You'll need this.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

THANKS MUCH!

The DUMB OFG thought you'd forgotten to paste in the data. It took quite a while and some bumbling around to figure out that "this" was a link - DUH!

So the good new is I got it. The bad news is I think it looks like one needs a KTM bench tester to do much?

Does anyone know if my assumption that only the stator, the electronic module and the coil are required for ignition (like an SX)? In other words should it make a spark with only these key components connected?

Thanks Again!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Check the ignition coil (reference page 7-3C) for these values:primaries-about .5 ohms---secondaries-11-16 K ohms.

To test the ignition see page 7-9C. I know it says 250EXC but it also says Kokusan 2K-2. Will be easier with some help to kick the bike.
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

Is there a rectifier on there for lights and such to take the AC from the stator and rectify for DC powered lights?? It's usually mounted to the frame and has a heat sink on it.

I'm not familiar with the KTM bikes so sorry if this was a stupid question.

I had a stator go bad on my DRZ, but it put out spark, it was actually the pickup coil, but Suzuki sells that along with the stator as a single part number. I figured it out after replacing the rectifier, which wasn't bad, and swapping the CDI unit from a friends DRZ.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S