I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

SXC not Idling

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
chasbo
DAMN Expert

SXC not Idling

Post by chasbo »

Posted this question at ADVRider as well, but I am hoping someone here might have some advice...

3 weeks ago my 625 was running great. It had sat a few months while I healed up from a shoulder operation, but after installing a new battery, filling the tank with fresh gas and doing an oil change and air filter change, it ran great. When I put it away that day, I ran it out of gas (turned the petcock off and ran it until it stalled), but I didn't drain the float bowl like I normally do when I am going to store it.

Then over the last three weeks I gave the bike a good cleaning, new tires and such, but did nothing to the motor, until my doctor released me for riding again. So after getting the last couple bits of body plastic on today, I started it up and it is running rough as hell. It won't idle at all. As long as I keep my hand on the throttle and give it a little gas, it runs fine, but let go and it immediately stalls. It feels like the idle is somehow set lower than before. Give it some gas though and it smooths out and feels great.

I was thinking maybe the idle jet is clogged from sitting, but it has only been three weeks. That really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I am hoping I don't need to tear my BST carb down and clean it, but that seems like my first step to solving this riddle. I am wondering what I could have done while cleaning the bike to knock the carb out of adjustment.
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Re: SXC not Idling

Post by anotherguy »

Pull the carb,remove the float bowl and clean the pilot jet. That should do it. The crap that passes for fuel these days turns to s%#t rather quickly.
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Yeah, I am thinking that is the obvious first step. I will pull both the pilot and idle jets and clean both of them. If the inside of the carb is dirty, then I will spend some time cleaning it up as well.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

FWIW ,If the pilot is tiny then use a heated cleaner or ultrasonic. Otherwise sometimes it'sfaster/easier to get a new jet.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

BillyGoat wrote:FWIW ,If the pilot is tiny then use a heated cleaner or ultrasonic. Otherwise sometimes it'sfaster/easier to get a new jet.
I'm betting that won't be an issue with a 625 but I don't bother cleaning the pilots for something like a ttr125, I just buy a new one. So tiny...
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

carb pulled apart and cleaned. The pilot did not look clogged. That is seriously weird. Crossing my fingers that it was a tiny piece of dirt that fell out when I removed the jet. Still, if nothing else, I can say that the inside of my BST is squeaky clean now. Time to re-install it and see what happens. I am hoping for the best, I need to ride so bad now....
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Squeaky clean happens to have worked wonders. Everything better now. I just have to readjust the idle and I am good to go. Thanks for the help guys. Time to get cleaned up and do some riding.... :roost:
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

psssssstttttt...........I've seen three Katoom bigbores on my lift this spring for that very problem.

Now go ride that thang.
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Hit Michaux this evening a little....I had forgotten how mean the LC4 sounds.

anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

You guys are a bad influence.