I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM + CR500 + Rekluse Core

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Jar944
DAMN n00b

KTM + CR500 + Rekluse Core

Post by Jar944 »

I built this a couple years ago. After talking to Sam at the Taskers ride this past Sunday I thought some people here might be interested.

cr500 sitting in a unmodified 2008 450sxf frame

motor mount relocation

new rear case bushings to correct sprocket alignment vs stock cr500 bushings

conversion to a single larger head outlet

re-routed silencer

stinger shortened, and new rear mount added

head stay

The bike as finished in may of 2012

REKLUSE core install

custom heavy wedges (about 2x the weight of the factory heavy wedges)

Cr250/450 barnett basket, oil lip machined off to clear the 500 case.

clutch cover

The 500 engine sits farther toward the rear brake than any of the original KTM engines, so some rear brake lever tweaking is needed to clear the clutch cover. With the addition of the thicker cover to clear the rekluse the brake lever needs cut and welded (or in my case cracked in a press) to clear
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Re: KTM + CR500 + Rekluse Core

Post by jgreene »

You performed an incredible build. Even standing near the bike at Taskers, it was hard to tell that it was not a factory production.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I was changing the Rekluse EXP configuration on my Freeride in the parking area at Taskers to test a different weight & spring set up and Jar944 told me about his Rekluse mods and related engineering. So I asked him to send me his data on it which was IMPRESSIVE - complete with equations and graphs of gripping force vs RPM, etc. I then sent it to the R&D engineer I've been working with on the Freeride Rekcluse development and HE was also impressed!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Big bore 2T!

Very cool
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:hi5:

nice!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Jar944
DAMN n00b

Post by Jar944 »

jgreene wrote:You performed an incredible build. Even standing near the bike at Taskers, it was hard to tell that it was not a factory production.
Thanks, it was actually a rather straight forward conversion (compared to some of my others) so it was easy to make it look factory.

Bucho wrote:Big bore 2T!

Very cool
Thanks

Kyler wrote::hi5:

nice!
Thanks

BigBird wrote:I was changing the Rekluse EXP configuration on my Freeride in the parking area at Taskers to test a different weight & spring set up and Jar944 told me about his Rekluse mods and related engineering. So I asked him to send me his data on it which was IMPRESSIVE - complete with equations and graphs of gripping force vs RPM, etc. I then sent it to the R&D engineer I've been working with on the Freeride Rekcluse development and HE was also impressed!
Sam, Reverse engineering the clutch and building the spreadsheet was the most fun, and time consuming part of the rekluse swap.
It required me to become familiar with the principals behind its operation and better understand the requirements for it to work on a 500.

This is from a post of mine on another forum but I'll include it here if anyone is curious.

Here are some measurements from the exp "ring":

Total wedge weight 159g (factory heavy wedges)
wedge spacing diameter (centers) min 124mm, max 131mm
ramp angle 18.5 deg
opposition spring force (varies)

engine parameters
primary reduction 2.52:1
idle RPM 1500 rpm

Fc = m v2/r
= m (n 2 ? r / 60)2/r
= 0.01097 m r n2

where
n = revolution per minute
Or in this case

.01097*m*r*(n*n)
m = .0159kg
r = .062m
rpm = 595

.01097*.0159*.062*(595*595) = 38.3N

Which lead me to wonder how one would calculate how much torque a clutch could theoretically hold (and my the introduction to the uniform wear theory)

With some time to digest all of that I kept revising the spreadsheet to account for all the parameters I though I needed to account for.

it also allows me to compare different setups of the clutch:

Also if you have a exp 2.0 and want heavier than the heavy wedges (for harder engagement), you can add tungsten balls to replace the stock steel ones. its about the same change as going from medium wedges to heavy. though if you have the last version (before the 3.0) the balls need pulled as its no longer an through hole in the wedge:

phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Wow, very impressive work and a quality build.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

Excellent work Jar. ...Very well done.
Jar944
DAMN n00b

Post by Jar944 »

This bike is by far my favorite of the bunch. If anyone was wondering it works very well on single track even without the rekluse (vid is prior to its install)

[youtube][/youtube]
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Ok, now I really can't wait to go back to Buffalo Mountian....
Very cool bike build too :thumbup: