I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

A fuel/oil thread

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

A fuel/oil thread

Post by juddspaintballs »

So I have to start mixing 2 stroke fuel now for my KTM and I've never had to do it before for a bike. I already have the required ratio and I think I've also determined what brand of oil to buy. My question is this: ethanol free 87 gasoline or hi-test with 10% ethanol gasoline? I know most of my bikes liked running on high octane better. Another option is the ethanol free stuff with octane boost mixed in. What say you DAMN guys?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: A fuel/oil thread

Post by thetable »

Gore Grocery, 93 no likker. It's harder to just dump premix in another vehicle, so shelf life is important, and that is the major downfall of the corn squeezin' fuel.
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

87 ethanol free will work fine and is what I used for years an never had any issues. I also never tossed it if I didn't use it up right away, just shake it up real well to mix it back up. Now with the ethanol crap they call gas after a week I put it in my mower. ( makes the yard smell nice)
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I tend to use the higher octane fuel from the pump. Ive had it sit for at least two months in my premix jug with out any ill effect that I could tell.
Once or twice Ive had it sit longer and I dumped it into my car fuel tank.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Thanks for the tip on Gore Grocery! It's not too far out of the way when I'm in Winchester so I can swing buy and pick up 10 gals at a time.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

For my 4t, 2t, chainsaw, weed thingy, snowblower, mower, ATV, genny, etc, etc, I use regular pump gas.
I mix in some Sta-Bil ethanol stuff and then mix with oil if needed. It never sits long and I never have issues.

On mixing, I'm not a stickler, 40/50:1 works fine. I think some folks over analyze everything.
I do tend to use synthetic 2t mixing oil.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

60:1
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

I use Amsoil 100 to 1 in all small engines, chain saws, weedeaters, ect. regardless of manufacturers recommendations. Has worked well for me for years.......

On a 2 stroke bike I would use there Dominator oil at 50 to 1.
I'm inclined to think the ratio depends on the oil quality. Run the carburator dry if it's going to sit. Ethanol free if you can get it. Just my 2 cents.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

My my power equipment, the premix oil comes with fuel stabilizer....doesn't the dirtbike oils have fuel stabilizer included?
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T