I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Screw that!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Screw that!

Post by Rut Row »

juddspaintballs wrote:One week away from being allowed to use my finger
like this? :flip: :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

BillyGoat wrote:Noticed that some are too short and don't have a nut...when that screw falls into the tire it's likely to puncture the tube. Just sayin. What can be done?
The screws are screwed in from the inside so I have the threads holding in the knob, a liner and tube pressing against the head and centripetal force all trying to push the screw OUT, I don't see them "falling" in. Based on what I read from people who have done this, the nuts are actually over kill, but I like them for traction once the screws wear down. Time will tell.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

BillyGoat wrote:If you have a small welder it seems would be smart to tack weld the nuts to the screws.
The nuts are coarse thread machine nuts intentionally cross threaded onto a sheet metal screw with 80 pounds of air gun. They won't be backing off anytime soon unless the screw breaks. Again time will tell. But I would prefer to find out if they hold on their own so I know for next time; why do x-tra work....
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

and centripetal force
:shrug:

:peep:

:lol2: Looks good. :thumbup:
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Centrifugal
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

You should do your helmet
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Kyler wrote:
juddspaintballs wrote:One week away from being allowed to use my finger
like this? :flip: :killingme:
Wrong finger, but with the permanent curve and enlarged size of my pinky, it gives a new twist with the Image
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Sounds like that new pinky would make a great "cruise control" if you just catch it on the brake lever. :angel:
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Still waiting on that screwed up tire report :shrug:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Well, the report on the red-neck studs after the first ride is nothing but positive. The ride conditions were perfectly suited for these things with about 4 inches of hard-dense snow every where and they hooked up GREAT! Many thanks to Boom-Boom for letting Sam and I play on his trails; I have never had so much fun on 2-wheels in the snow before.

Long term it still remains to be seen how the screws will hold up when running on just hard frozen ground. There are a few that bent just slightly, probably from the log crossings or the rocky hill climb down by the river. But the traction was amazing; coming out of the snow spinning and hitting the occasional bare spot felt like a top fuel dragster launching off the line. I was also surprised by how LITTLE the screws worn down, even running around on the paved parking lot and stone road to the woods barely dulled the pointy tips at all. Also, a few of the nuts did loosen up so I will throw some epoxy on the offenders but over all I am very pleased.

:thumbup: