I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Screw that!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Screw that!

Post by Skinny-J »

I finished up the Stud project tonight:

Wingfixer ran the sheet metal screws into an old set of tires for me and I zipped the nuts on with an air gun. I sourced a set of dedicated rims off of Ebay and delicately mounted them up. I only gave $85 for the front rim as Yamaha 21" are every where with all the YZ's and WR's out there but finding a back in an 18" is a little harder since all the motorcross bikes typically run 19s. The back took a little longer to find, especially since I also wanted a 2.15 and only the 450's (or YZ 2t) run those but I eventually came accros an after-market WARP 9 and only paid $180 shipped. I would have preferred to stick with an OEM Excel and I was on the fence about the WARP 9's but it seems like a pretty solid rim and it will probably only get used twice a year any way. Both rims came with rotors, good bearings and the back even had a decent sprocket in the exact tooth count I run on the other rims. One nice thing about running jap bikes is there are always tons of parts out there.

So all in, $265 for the rims, $16 for the nuts, maybe $60 bucks worth of screws, an old set of tires and and old set of tubes to cut up for liners; for under $350 bucks and 2 days in the garage poking my self with sheet metal screws, I now have a dedicated set of always mounted studded tires.

Front-

Back-

I am anxious to try these suckers out and see how they hold up. Even if the screws wear down fast, if they get down to the nuts they should still provide a lot of bite.

So, who wants to go riding soon? Come on snow.....

SJ
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Screw that!

Post by juddspaintballs »

One week away from being allowed to use my finger
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Those look vicious.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Noticed that some are too short and don't have a nut...when that screw falls into the tire it's likely to puncture the tube. Just sayin. What can be done?
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

If you have a small welder it seems would be smart to tack weld the nuts to the screws.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

:roost: :roost: :roost: the yz looks nice! maybe making ice tires will make spring come faster? good thinking!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Looks like a bunch of screwing around to me..
Don't see you having any issue wearing them down. Snapping off might be your bigger problem.
Jay if you can't weld the nut to the screw the next best thing is some 2 part epoxy and just a dab to work into the screw and nut will do wonders to keep the nut from backing off.
A couple inches of snow on the ground and you will have permagrin.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Vicious is right! I'm pretty sure you could ride straight up a tree with those :thumbup:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Looks awesome!! I can't wait for a ride report but I'm pretty sure I don't want to be in a position to get run over!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

:thumbup: