I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Show us your toy hauler!

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Show us your toy hauler!

Post by Rut Row »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am Image

Looks like it really blocks the headlights. Do you just make sure you get where you need to be before dark?

Maybe auxiliary headlights off an old snowplow? You have my wheels spinning....
heck, you could fantasize about running over KTMs whilst you drive! :duel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

gots_a_sol wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 am Does that front hitch fold up?

I've toyed with the idea of a front hitch on the Excursion, just haven't committed to it.
Yes, the front rack is a folding version. This makes it stick out a bit farther than the non folding. I know it would be better closer to the vehicle, but it is real convenient to be able to just leave it on there.... We saw a bro at RORR '17 with this setup on the front of his F-350 and were sold!
Important to know: You gotta have a lot of ground clearance to safely run the front rack. The Van is on higher E-250 suspension, and 31.5 LT tires. On the clapped out OEM suspension and tires it was SCARY going over any rollers and bumps.
Skinny-J wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am Looks like it really blocks the headlights. Do you just make sure you get where you need to be before dark?

Maybe auxiliary headlights off an old snowplow? You have my wheels spinning....
LOL, yeah! The lighting is worse with the bike on there, but it was not as bad as I would have imagined. I mean--even on their best day, unobstructed, they are still incandescent bulbs with hazed lenses! For a while, during summer, we just rolled with it. Once we found ourselves losing daylight, and driving longer hours we added an auxiliary super bright LED spot/flood. The light is mounted to the stinger of the front rack, in front of the bike down low when deployed. Less shadows, and less blinding other drivers. Personally I wanted a 4 pc. of KC Hi-Liter smiley face round lights up on the roof bar. But the China LED setup was just too easy and cheap. My Google pic links keep coming up broken...so here is an old tyme web link for pics of the light bar. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5ak5kAaCpfuQYqZWA

Boom Boom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:28 am I was told it is a no go by our local Po Po when I asked. Then I said what about snow plows blocking the lights. It was left as he viewed it as a no go because of lights being blocked but if other lights were mounted then I guess it would depend on the cops mood. I had thought about doing that with the Excursion for my longer trips to increase my bike hauling count.
We have not yet had to speak to any LEO about the obstructed headlights, or motorcycle dangling off the front of our Van. Though every time we pass the black and white everybody holds their breath and watches the mirrors! Its obvious that we are just some good 'ol boyz tryna have some fun, so I think we get a pass.... I am more legitimately concerned with the obscured license plates. But c'mon, its not like we are gonna make a fast getaway, or that it is not an extremely easy Rig to identify. Really the rear brake/turn signals being visible is the most troubling thing with this, or any rear hitch setup. We have had more than 1 dipshit have a close call because they did not know we was about to turn~~
Most people just think it is super cool, and/or crazy and we get a lot of smiles going down the highway.
We can go as many as 5 bikes, (3 inside, 2 out) but usually only have room for 4 passengers--each in their own Captains Chair. (3 person bench/bed removed for bikes/gear)
With riding areas being like 100+ mile trips each way the fuel costs really can make your day less fun~~
Every 10 minutes on the highway, open your wallet and throw $2.50 out the window. (5.8L Windsor does not lack for power)
Who wants to drive all that way alone without talking bike shit to somebody anyways?
(I also have a Stinger Folding single bike trailer for my Volvo that is light and EZ if I can't get a driving partner)
Skinny-J wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am heck, you could fantasize about running over KTMs whilst you drive! :duel:
We run a Beta up there sometimes~~ Its really whoever's bike is most lightweight!!!
'19 350 EXC-F
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I put lights on my rear carrier that just plugs in to the trailer lights connector. Safety first :thumbup:

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Did you install those lights or come with the hauler? Looks good.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I put them on. I basically bought a trailer wiring kit and did it up that way.

A note though, those 6" lights are too deep for the rails of the carrier and stick in to the area where the tires sit. I welded some guards over the backside but if I did it again I'd use different lights.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Discless
DAMN n00b

Post by Discless »

kevvyd, I love your front hitch rig! That is sweet. I was studying the photo and was wondering about the strap on the front hitch. It looks like it assists with sway on the front rail. Is that the case and do you achieve this additional integrity by securing it to the passenger windshield wiper? :killingme:

Gots_a_sol, Like your pic as well! Was wondering where you got that cool Joker leftside frame guard? That is a must-have! Do you also connect it electrically so it's eyes lights up when you hit the brakes?

You guys are MY kinda people!
Discless
'15 XR650L
'16 300XC
'05 VFR800
Discless
DAMN n00b

Post by Discless »

kevvyd wrote:
..... when you getting sub 10 MPG of Ford Windsor goodness...

When I am crunched for gas money, I let wife use my truck and I use her econobox...
Attachments
ATV_VW.jpg
Discless
'15 XR650L
'16 300XC
'05 VFR800
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I got this little guy today. Bigger isn't always better, my truck is a 4 banger/5 speed. Size was a consideration. It will serve as a tool and lumber shed for my little cabin build. And of course bike hauler/sleeping quaters.Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Laoch wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 pm I got this little guy today. Bigger isn't always better, my truck is a 4 banger/5 speed. Size was a consideration. It will serve as a tool and lumber shed for my little cabin build. And of course bike hauler/sleeping quaters.Image

Is that the same size as Jay’s? I liked his. Pulled nice behind my van.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Smaller. 5x8. I think Jay has 6x10.

Bruce