I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Joe's Beta thread

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Joe's Beta thread

Post by gots_a_sol »

Well, that'll do it. This was all packed around the main jet. I had pulled the drain plug before and it was clear at that time.

Theory now is all of this would settle out but once I started riding hard it would suck up and pck up the main jet, causing a lean condition and runaway. After shutting the bike down for a minute enough would settle out to run fine again for a while.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wow, good thing you caught it and it seems to be stuck in the carb (?). Hopefully the cylinder still looks good.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Marylander wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm Wow, good thing you caught it and it seems to be stuck in the carb (?). Hopefully the cylinder still looks good.
I pulled the pipe and just peeking up the exhaust port it looks fine in there. No scratches or gouges.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:17 pm Well, that'll do it. This was all packed around the main jet. I had pulled the drain plug before and it was clear at that time.

Theory now is all of this would settle out but once I started riding hard it would suck up and pck up the main jet, causing a lean condition and runaway. After shutting the bike down for a minute enough would settle out to run fine again for a while.
I'd rather blame the needle getting stuck because of that rough part. I don't see how lean mixture with closed throttle could cause a runaway with any reasonable power. Your throttle control just have one cable, right?
Anyway the good thing is you found all that dirt and cleaned it out :thumbup:
Every day is a good day when you ride
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Think I would install a new needle jet and needle and start over. Any play in the slide from wear? Looked fine in the picture. I have come across carbs that had play in (softer than the slide) and let the slide get caught or make the needle rub. Make sure you have a tee in your puke tubes so spilled gas does not get sucked back in with dirt / sand stuck to end of puke hose. Beta trials bikes had a bad habit of getting dirt in the carb and it was from the puke tubes pulling the gas back into the carb and brought along some grit from end of the hose.
Agree I can't see a lean situation making a wild throttle but a stuck slide you bet. Lean would have a nasty bog first.
If cold out I have known of carbs with a little water in them get bounced...water pulled into air flow and the velocity would allow to freeze much easier....just need a little in slide track to keep from snapping back.
Good luck sorting....WFO when not wanted is no fun.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Cleaning all that junk out of the carb and replacing the needle and hoses has solved my random WOT woes it seems. Didn't have any problems at the last enduro or at Mountain Ridge.

Now to work on the mental side if it. Pretty gun shy about letting her eat after dealing with it for so long.

I did get something shiny to take my mind off it though :thumbup:

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Nice! :thumbup:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I've been using the KYB forks off my Husky since I bought this bike. I bought a set of Yamaha forks over a year ago but haven't gotten around to putting them on the bike. Finally decided to dive in to it.

The main issue is the 06-08 YZ top clamp area on the tube is 56mm where the Beta (and Husky) are 54mm. Well hell, I have a lathe, I can fix that!

So I took the forks apart today. Found some Pro Circuit bling inside and some valving set up that is definitely MX, so I'll have to order a few pieces to get it working in the woods (no longer has the mid valve float stuff)

PC bling spring perches.

"The Pro Circuit National Spring Tubes are a replacement for the OEM spring seats which can be a little restrictive. The design of these tubes allows the oil in the forks to flow through smoother and with more control. This results in a more plush and controlled response from the forks without becoming too soft."

MX mid valve set up. Stock would have a cup and spring for the compression side so it can float a little, this has it all clamped tight.

This is how stock would be. On the far left you can see the cup and spring that I don't have.
20170725_230919.jpg.2cd47c40258193f1bde309bf95bd563c.jpg

This was all my lathe could do length wise. The tail stock had about 1/2" before it wouldn't clamp on any more. A "steady rest" would have been good here but I don't have one. Oh well, it worked.

Test fit on the Husky since it is just sitting around fork-less.

I still need to do the other side. Also need to order the valving parts, springs, and brake caliper adapter since the Italians use a 260mm rotor vs the YZ had a 250.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

:dry: One more part I need to order. You can see the lug has a chunk gone too. This is one area where Husky ftw as the lugs are much beefier on the lugs they used.

This was probably the most time consuming/frustrating part of this endeavor, trying to true up the tube in the 4-jaw chuck

https://photos.smugmug.com/Beta-250RR/i ... 9-1280.mp4

I had to turn the inner cartridge down slightly along with the outer tube, so I screwed them back together to do it in one go. The only issue with that is the opposite end is not supported

Made this little puck to slide in and support the tube so it wouldn't go all wobbly on me in the lathe

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Very cool, I've got a little experience with lathes for woodworking. I've seen patterns for making table legs identical and I was wondering how you get things so precise when working with metal... I'll bet the AL mucks up the cutters pretty quick.