I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Taming a 2 stroke

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Taming a 2 stroke

Post by Junior »

So after 6 years I finally finished and rode my 99 wr 250 husky! I still have a "To DO" list, but its a runner! Actually more like a light switch! I ended up riding around in 3rd and 4th gear to keep it in control. The bike feels super lite! WF suggested a G2 to help with the throttle control. What about PV valve spring? The bike already has a heavy flywheel. So? Lets talk set up!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Taming a 2 stroke

Post by Skinny-J »

Rekluse.

Retard the timing. But mostly Rekluse.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

On my 00 kx250 I did the FW weight, G2 throttle, rekluse, retarded timing, and ran it a little rich to start. Once I was used to the thing I went to stock throttle, normal timing, and better jetting (I'm way too lazy to ever have anything resembling perfect jetting). It did take me a little while to get accustomed to the bike as I had been a dedicated 4 stroke guy even from childhood when I preferred riding our 78 xr75 instead of the 80 cr80r. ;)
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Recluse clutch isnt a terrible idea. Its a personal preference thing (I dont really care for them). But if you do go that route consider taller gearing.

Id also tell you to just get a little more seat time with it. A 2T just has an odd feel to it till you get used to it. The front end will always feel kinda light and “twitchy” especially compared to a DR650.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm Rekluse.

Retard the timing. But mostly Rekluse.
unfortunately Rekluse and most other aftermarket companies have discontinued all the good stuff for these bikes! I would have to go with the ELM for an auto clutch. I`m going to throw some easy stuff at it and try and ride more. I`m kinda hoping it leads back to a newer bike. Then again, I can get historic tags for it next year! :deal: I will say, I feel like I can pick the bike up and throw it. If anything it will be a good back up bike!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX