I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Getting ready for dual sporting

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Getting ready for dual sporting

Post by Marylander »

Since my 690 is set up supermoto-style I've decided to switch my WR250X (which is a supermoto with 17" wheels) over to being a WR250R (with 21"/18" wheels). I found a set of practically new WR250R OEM wheels, rotors, sprocket. The X uses a different front brake caliper since the rotor is much bigger (and you can't swap brake rotors between the wheels). I took a chance and bought a 2003 WR250F front caliper to match up with the new wheel and that's looking good.

The front tire on the new front wheel is new but I had to change out the rear. I took the opportunity to put on a rim lock and throw in an ultra heavy duty tube I had pulled off the beta. The old tire/wheel and new tire/wheel were in the freezing garage. Usually I would bring them in the house so the rubber would warm up some but I forgot to do that and it turns out I didn't need to. I bought a baja no pinch tool when they were on sale and used it for the first time to put the new tire on. It went on real easy in spite of being super stiff/cold.

As soon as I've got it all put together (gotta mount the rear wheel and fill/bleed the front brake) I'll have no excuses when dual sport rides are on the calendar... Now I just have to figure out tire pressures for dual sporting.

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Getting ready for dual sporting

Post by Bucho »

Cool man. I need someone to make me pull my DR650 out every once in a while
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

dual sporting, you say?

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Nice! Where is that? Putting the miles on the new bike, eh?
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

That's pretty much across the street from my house. Sleepy Creek WMA. The gates are open during hunting season, so they become legal roads. They get pretty gnarly in some spots.

New bike has over 5000 miles and ready for a 2nd oil change. Oil changes are specified at 9,000 mile intervals, but I'm going to stick to 5,000 mile intervals anyways.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Cool, I figured you were racking them up. I'm hardly putting any miles on my ktm since I mostly just ride it to work and I only go in twice per week.

It's been a long time but I used to go to the forestry service roads out west (meaning, your direction) and southwest. Maybe I'll take the wr out there one of these days...
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Marylander wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:41 pm Now I just have to figure out tire pressures for dual sporting.
My friend and I are on the MT-21/D606 combo and running about 16 psi for trail rides. He's got rim locks in his and I think rightfully decided that any lower might risk some rim damage or pinches. I've got the Tubliss system in mine (on the left in the photo) and have been known to lower my pressures into the mid-single digit range for a muddy track we ride sometimes down at Wicomico MSP.

Lovin' my WRR.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 pm
Marylander wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:41 pm Now I just have to figure out tire pressures for dual sporting.
My friend and I are on the MT-21/D606 combo and running about 16 psi for trail rides. He's got rim locks in his and I think rightfully decided that any lower might risk some rim damage or pinches. I've got the Tubliss system in mine (on the left in the photo) and have been known to lower my pressures into the mid-single digit range for a muddy track we ride sometimes down at Wicomico MSP.

Lovin' my WRR.
MT21/D606 is a good combo for true dualsport. Thats what I like on my Suzuki. 16psi is on the higher side for me. For dualsport work with lots of pavement and just dirt roads, anywhere in the mid to high teens works (15-18).
I know when we did the KAT, there was a decent amount of pavement but also real offroad. I believe I ran about 14 front and 11-12 rear all week and that worked fairly well. Im also careful not to smash into rocks while running higher speeds.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:30 am MT21/D606 is a good combo for true dualsport. Thats what I like on my Suzuki. 16psi is on the higher side for me. For dualsport work with lots of pavement and just dirt roads, anywhere in the mid to high teens works (15-18).
I know when we did the KAT, there was a decent amount of pavement but also real offroad. I believe I ran about 14 front and 11-12 rear all week and that worked fairly well. Im also careful not to smash into rocks while running higher speeds.
And, when you DO run into problems at KAT ride, there's always a pack of zip-ties :lol2:
Every day is a good day when you ride
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I've got d D606 front and a Motoz Tractionator GPS rear on the 1090. They're both at 38 PSI, but I'll experiment with slightly lower pressures at some point. It has tubeless wheels despite having spokes.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R