I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Wingfixer »

J&J wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:27 am Fuel in the coolant on a 7.3 Powerstroke is injector cups. What is it on a Kubota? Did a quick search and saw something about oil in coolant but not fuel.
Fuel cap leaks, it lets rain in. I usually have a piece of saran wrap over the cap but, apparently I waiting too long to replace it. :wallbash:

I forgot to add a sarcasm thingy to my original post. Water in fuel tank, not fuel in water tank.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Storage in the pole barn. Can't believe I don't have enough space in a 30x56 pole barn :censored:

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

Rut Row wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 am Storage in the pole barn. Can't believe I don't have enough space in a 30x56 pole barn :censored:

The more space you have the more you need... Everything form my 18' x 24' garage makes my 30' x 40' seem very cramped.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Another hive inspection today. I added another 10 frame box on top so they can expand.
My son was helping me a little.

I'm scraping off some extra comb to collect the wax
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The capped cells are honey. Rest is nectar and some pollen.

Close up of some bees. Hard to see in photo but the "wet" cells that is nectar.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Very interesting. I wouldn't mind learning and starting some hives on my parents' farm.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 pm Very interesting. I wouldn't mind learning and starting some hives on my parents' farm.
Been interesting so far. But Im a total noob.

Kyler grew up on a farm w/ a large number of hives.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm The capped cells are honey. Rest is nectar and some pollen.
Actually the uncapped cells is honey too. Only they cap it when it's full, those just are still in progress.
Nectar is what bees take from the flowers, honey is what they get out of them in the hive. AFAIK they don't have the ability to transport and release nectar itself without turning it into a honey.

I'm no pro with bees, but I've been around as my parents and grandparents have been beekeepers. Only part I've participated usually - extracting the honey from the cells. We had mechanical device that spins the frames in it (cranking by hand) and gets the honey out on centrifugal force.
Every day is a good day when you ride
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nobody wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:19 am
Actually the uncapped cells is honey too. Only they cap it when it's full, those just are still in progress.
Nectar is what bees take from the flowers, honey is what they get out of them in the hive. AFAIK they don't have the ability to transport and release nectar itself without turning it into a honey.

I'm no pro with bees, but I've been around as my parents and grandparents have been beekeepers. Only part I've participated usually - extracting the honey from the cells. We had mechanical device that spins the frames in it (cranking by hand) and gets the honey out on centrifugal force.
Semantics. The bee people I've learned from still call it nectar (even though yes, it has been changed), till the water content is reduced down to roughly 17% and its full and capped.

The extraction process is one thing I have no experience/training with. But my friend has an extractor, so we'll see how it goes. Its been interesting.

If this goes well, in a few years I'll send you some homemade mead.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 pm Very interesting. I wouldn't mind learning and starting some hives on my parents' farm.
Been interesting so far. But Im a total noob.

Kyler grew up on a farm w/ a large number of hives.
you are doing fine! We had 60 hives at the peak of the operation.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris