I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Rut Row »

Anticipating the snow storm on Wednesday, I decided to stop procrastinating and do maintenance on my snow blower. When I got it apart to replace the belts I discovered the auger bearing was bad and the impeller was bent. I wonder what the PO did to bend the impeller so bad. I tried to straighten it but only made it worse. Apparently the PO had it apart before because some parts were missing on the auger shaft (thrust washer, bushing and some o-rings). Parts won't be here until after the snow storm. I've only needed it once in the last 2 years; guaranteed we'll get the full 12" of snow now. Murphy's law is absolute.

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

What is that 4x4 tractor with a bucket for?
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:08 am What is that 4x4 tractor with a bucket for?
:dry: snows over 12" :shrug:

I'm glad the pic didn't show the 5' blade mounted or you'd be really giving me some crap! :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

They are going to 1x because its cheaper. It doesn't solve the cross chaining problems (though the new thinner chains help that.) You also may still need to run a front chain guide. IME, those are more fiddly than a derailleur. Kid just lost his guide somewhere :( For all the years I've ridden mtbs, rear derailleur problems are 10x+ more common.
One real advantage that a 1x does have is you can tuck the rear tire closer to the seat post which will shorten the wheelbase if using 27.5" or 29" tires on the smaller frames.
Good points. Weight reduction probably factors in too. Also less to think about while on the trail.

My Santa Cruz is 1x12 with sram bits and I havent dropped a chain on it yet with no front guide, which will now happen on the next ride :lol2:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I use the tractor after a couple inches of snow.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:59 am
Bucho wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:24 pm Pretty cool Stephen. I was riding Sam's SurRon the other week. His is feeling much better with full sized wheels and a proper trials tire on the rear. I didn't ride a super hard trail, but it felt pretty good just riding around on some of the easier stuff.
I like to hear about electrics getting better. I appreciate guys like you and Sam fine tuning this product. So maybe in a few years I may buy a fixed one.
I rode Dave's Alta when we were at Brown Mountain 2 weeks ago and it is a little weird! He and I swapped bikes, he took the 300 and I broke off with the Alta and worked my way back to camp at 28 miles in to the ride. The one shortcoming I see is how (and I know it is controller specific and needs to be dialed in) the power is applied. On step ups, slick rocky or rooted ledges, you can't "modulate" the throttle like you can on a typical gas bike. It is kinda on and off and that makes it a bit tough on those kinda obstacles. That makes it harder when you get to the step kinda stuff. Dave did 32 miles at Brown and had 25% battery when I got back to camp. Overall if they could design the controllers to be more gradual with the application of the torque and maybe make some kind of "electronic" clutch to be able to feather power, that would be awesome.
Yes, I know what you mean. Ive ridden Dave’s Alta before. Some of it is needing different technique. There is no flywheel to help keep the rear wheel turning when you let off the throttle.
And some of it is what Stephen was talking about. Traction control.

Riding Sam’s SurRon (which has WAY less power) is probably some of what helps it be easier to modulate power.

I do feel electric bikes arent quite “there yet”. But they are getting closer.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Ken, you've probably mentioned this before but, what's the garage floor coating and are you happy with it? I'm moving up to a ~10 bike garage from a 4 bike garage next year and think I may do epoxy or something...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Marylander wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:33 pm Ken, you've probably mentioned this before but, what's the garage floor coating and are you happy with it? I'm moving up to a ~10 bike garage from a 4 bike garage next year and think I may do epoxy or something...
I used Tri-State Concrete Coatings from Middletown - http://www.tsconcretecoatings.com/ - had the Acid Staining followed by Epoxy / Urethane sealer. No chips. This was the cheapest way to get the floor done and I don't need no steekin; chips!

I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed how much less dust I have; the shop is much cleaner. Good investment IMHO.
Ken
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm
They are going to 1x because its cheaper. It doesn't solve the cross chaining problems (though the new thinner chains help that.) You also may still need to run a front chain guide. IME, those are more fiddly than a derailleur. Kid just lost his guide somewhere :( For all the years I've ridden mtbs, rear derailleur problems are 10x+ more common.
One real advantage that a 1x does have is you can tuck the rear tire closer to the seat post which will shorten the wheelbase if using 27.5" or 29" tires on the smaller frames.
Good points. Weight reduction probably factors in too. Also less to think about while on the trail.

My Santa Cruz is 1x12 with sram bits and I havent dropped a chain on it yet with no front guide, which will now happen on the next ride :lol2:
The biggest advantage of the 1X is log hopping, you get a lot more clearance. Plus weight savings. Simplicity. I will never go back...
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:56 pm I used Tri-State Concrete Coatings from Middletown - http://www.tsconcretecoatings.com/ - had the Acid Staining followed by Epoxy / Urethane sealer. No chips. This was the cheapest way to get the floor done and I don't need no steekin; chips!

I'm very happy with it. I'm amazed how much less dust I have; the shop is much cleaner. Good investment IMHO.
Cool, I will check with them when the time comes. :cheers: