I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by Firebolter »

Added a Scotts with underbar mount to the 500! 5 days of riding all day, this should help some with comfort! Help tame the vibes some.

Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Little trick when you are taking the top clamp off by yourself. In the instructions they tell you to put a tie down over the frame top tube down to the forks to hold the triple trees up in the steering stem when you remove the top triple tree. But once you remove that top triple tree, the forks will "slide" some and the stem will slip and make it hard to get the upper bearing to lay in the bearing race and get it all back together easily.

I took a second ratcheting tie down and ran it through the rear of the front tire rim and hook it to both footpegs. As soon as I started to tighten that up, it pulls the forks back and lines up the stem perfectly so you can drop the bearing down in the race, grease it up, add the bearing cover and then re-install the top triple tree and torque everything down to spec.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:31 pm Little trick when you are taking the top clamp off by yourself. In the instructions they tell you to put a tie down over the frame top tube down to the forks to hold the triple trees up in the steering stem when you remove the top triple tree. But once you remove that top triple tree, the forks will "slide" some and the stem will slip and make it hard to get the upper bearing to lay in the bearing race and get it all back together easily.

I took a second ratcheting tie down and ran it through the rear of the front tire rim and hook it to both footpegs. As soon as I started to tighten that up, it pulls the forks back and lines up the stem perfectly so you can drop the bearing down in the race, grease it up, add the bearing cover and then re-install the top triple tree and torque everything down to spec.
I forgot to mention, I used a wheel chock for the front and put the ratcheting tie down over the top frame tube down to the wheel bucket on the chock to strap it down to. Works okay until you move the top a bit to re-align the top clamp and such, thats when I needed to add the second strap to pull the forks back to better align the steering stem in the frame so I could easily grease the bearing and put the dust cover on then the top clamp.
Lots of cool bikes---
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 am
phoo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 pm Thanks for the writeup on the Mr COOL mini splits. I was looking at them for the cabin.

I'm confused about the statement about "aux heat." I thought the whole point of mini splits was that they never need auxiliary heat because unlike a traditional heat pump, which is using outside air to heat or cool the room, a mini split is using the room of the air itself, so it's able to close the gap on the 35 degree differential where heat pumps are inefficient and need aux heat, and then once near temperature they're super efficient. Is this not correct? Does this not apply to how the Mr COOL units work? I know my Mitsubishi here in my sunroom has no mechanical ("aux") heat and it works fine, even when it's sealed off from the rest of my house.

Thanks,

~Patrick
Mini-Splits are traditional heat pumps. They use outside air. They have a head unit inside the home and the pump is outside. The difference is no ductwork is required. If your Mitsubishi doesn't have an outside unit, it isn't a mini-split. Your aux heat function may be automatic.

The high end units are that way. My MrCool units are low end. I bought 2-18kw units knowing they would provide the cooling required but would need aux heat. I couldn't afford the power requirements for the larger units in the shop. My units pull 20a each. The next step up was 30a each. I only have 150a in the shop and I have several power hungry tools. There are trade-offs in everything.

I've now reached the end of my knowledge on heat pumps. I rely on my brother Kris who has been doing geothermal for 30-years and has a successful HVAC business.

I dug into the manual for mine today. It appears it will function in heater mode down to 5 degrees F outside temperature. That should be good enough for most of the time in West Virginia.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

yup - you got a more upscale version than mine.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I don't know why my PM's weren't going through, but is there any chance you used the MRCOOL brand lineset covers and have a spare straight section left over? I'm one section short and don't want to buy an entire kit to just get one section.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Your PM came through. See response.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Stuck a ladder rack on the Fronty to carry kayaks with. Now to find some kayaks :lol2:

The clamps didn't fit my bed because of the factory utilitrack rails, so I welded plates to the racks to just bolt to them. Im going to order knobs so I can remove it tool free. The welds are faaaar from the best I've done. Just wouldn't weld cleanly.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Had the Duc out this morning to ride w/ a coworker that just got her license and a bike. That gave me clear access to the old Extra 330L project in the garage. Got the repaired cowl back on and everything buttoned up. Will fly it tomorrow. The airframe was given to me years ago in poor shape. I have had a couple test flights along the way but this will be the first with everything complete. Just needs a recovering job now. FWIW, it's running a 100cc two stroke horizontally opposed twin.
Resizer_15969332277830.jpg
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

After scouring marketplace, Craigslist, and a few other places, I got my hands on some reasonably priced kayaks and the rack works perfect for them.

I also got the knobs to replace the bolts holding them to the factory bed tracks but didn't take a pic.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0