I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

BRP starting issues

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: BRP starting issues

Post by juddspaintballs »

Start with a dead blow hammer.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks. I whacked it a few times with the good ole orange hammer :thumbup:
The insides look good. Ordered a rebuild kit.
I guess next I'm going to trace the whole wire harness.
Bruce
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Laoch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm I'm working on my Son's BRP and he's always had issues with the thing slow cranking, it usually fires. But it sounds like it's killing the battery just trying to turn over. It as a newish agm battery, but I think it's time for a new one.
Do big thumpers usually turn over slow?
The current battery is rated at 120 cca, which seems low to me.
I don't want to spend big $$ on a Lithium battery without knowing if there is an underlying issue.
I've checked and cleaned connections.
Stator puts out 180w -when new. That also seems low.
General I love to people watch throw all their money on batteries that don't make that much of a difference! So, save your time and money and omh out your wires first! Just checking the connection is half the battle! Omh your wires first. After that you`ll likely have a worn out starter. Keep it simple! 120 cca is 120 cca! it starts my big 650 just fine!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Junior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:22 pm
Laoch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm I'm working on my Son's BRP and he's always had issues with the thing slow cranking, it usually fires. But it sounds like it's killing the battery just trying to turn over. It as a newish agm battery, but I think it's time for a new one.
Do big thumpers usually turn over slow?
The current battery is rated at 120 cca, which seems low to me.
I don't want to spend big $$ on a Lithium battery without knowing if there is an underlying issue.
I've checked and cleaned connections.
Stator puts out 180w -when new. That also seems low.
General I love to people watch throw all their money on batteries that don't make that much of a difference! So, save your time and money and omh out your wires first! Just checking the connection is half the battle! Omh your wires first. After that you`ll likely have a worn out starter. Keep it simple! 120 cca is 120 cca! it starts my big 650 just fine!
:thumbup:
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I gave up on the BRP for now. After trying to get it started, there was smoke coming from the fuse area to the left of the battery. :shrug:
I’ll work on it later. I still have my old Beta in pieces.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:23 am I gave up on the BRP for now. After trying to get it started, there was smoke coming from the fuse area to the left of the battery. :shrug:
turn the battery around and see if smoke comes from the other side ... :shrug: ... :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Slow cranking BRP, I would look at the auto decompression system. I believe some of the big XRs had issues with decompression system failing. The decompression bits are pressed onto the camshaft and would wear to the point they would spin freely.

Jason
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Good point. That’s something I hadn’t considered.
Bruce
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 am
Laoch wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:23 am I gave up on the BRP for now. After trying to get it started, there was smoke coming from the fuse area to the left of the battery. :shrug:
turn the battery around and see if smoke comes from the other side ... :shrug: ... :jack:
You could always sell it to Ken cheap! Then he can come out and play!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX