I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

No Not Again

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Granville
DAMN Poohba

No Not Again

Post by Granville »

Cracked the frame on an XR600 in the same place years ago. Now on my beloved 525.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: No Not Again

Post by Firebolter »

That could be welded couldn't it?
Lots of cool bikes---
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

It wouldn't weld very well and hold up. It might be able to take a plate welded on
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

I know a welding pro that is gong to look at it soon. I think it can be welded as like on the XR. The swingarm is going to have to be removed and weld work done from behind the photo.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

REALLY Sorry to see that!!!

I can't understand how something like that could happen to such a new low hour bike that has only been ridden very gently and carefully by a little bitty Mellow-Fellow ???
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Sorry to see that Jim that sucks!

It’s a forged piece, I think to fix it correctly it’s going to need the motor taken out & an experienced welder with a Tig & knows about annealing.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

It's not forged. It's cast. It can be welded stronger than new by someone who knows what they are doing. Take a GOOD look at the rest of the frame as there could be more cracks.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

BigBird wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm REALLY Sorry to see that!!!

I can't understand how something like that could happen to such a new low hour bike that has only been ridden very gently and carefully by a little bitty Mellow-Fellow ???
Gently ridden only on weekends by a middle aged gent :deal:
Bruce
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

smdub wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:55 am It's not forged. It's cast. It can be welded stronger than new by someone who knows what they are doing. Take a GOOD look at the rest of the frame as there could be more cracks.
I also believe it can be repaired and ultimately be stronger than before. Several weeks ago, I had the seat off and noticed a bolt connecting the aluminum subframe to the main frame cut in half. I was able to remove the remainder of the bolt with an easy-out. I'm not sure if the frame crack is a result of the severed bolt because it was on the opposite side of the bike or if it is from my "very gentle and careful" riding style.

Nevertheless, wish me luck.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

BigBird wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm REALLY Sorry to see that!!!

Imagine my amazement too! :shrug:

It's only my third cracked frame. I don't believe any were the result of a particular ass over tea kettle style event.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's