I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual sport tires again

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Dual sport tires again

Post by Laoch »

Tires and more tires.

Left is D605
Right is Tusk ds/adv tire

D605 is 120/80 vs 120/90 on the Tusk. 90 is stock. Will the difference matter.

Tusk seems heavier. Obviously more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Dual sport tires again

Post by Laoch »

Fronts.
D605
MT21
Tusk.

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I ordered a complete wheel set from Tusk. Back ordered to end of August.

Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I have a set of Tusk rims on the 500. I got them over the holidays on sale for ~500 bucks. They are quality rim sets and a good value IMO. Nice billet hubs, good spokes and rims. You'll like em. I put the D606's on them and ran them for the KAT. I bought that same Tusk rear as a replacement for when the 606 wears out. 606's worked well and wore well on my trip, so pretty happy with them. Since the Tusk tire is half the price of the D606, if they wear good, that will be a good deal as well!
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

My concern with the Tusk was weight and balance. Any issues with that?
I was thinking of mounting the 605s on stock wheels for road biased. And Mt21/Tusk on tusk wheels for dirt biased.
I got the 500 deal on the wheels, just not in stock right now.
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Phoo, phoo dad and I all ran the tusk tires on the KAT. I didn't have any issues with them and I didn't hear any complaints from the other 2. They held up really well.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 am Phoo, phoo dad and I all ran the tusk tires on the KAT. I didn't have any issues with them and I didn't hear any complaints from the other 2. They held up really well.
:thumbup:
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Laoch wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:52 am My concern with the Tusk was weight and balance. Any issues with that?
None I can tell. Got over a 1000 miles on them in all conditions and they feel great.
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I loved the Tusk DSports. They worked well in the dirt, mud, what little sand there was, rocks, roots, pavement both on the highway and flogging twisties at paces normally not used with knobbies, and never had an incident or even a concern. I was never wanting traction and they were never squirrely. All that, with a tire that was about $106 for a set, front and rear. Unless something truly odd happens between now and when they wear out, this will not be my last set, for sure.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Laoch wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:52 am My concern with the Tusk was weight and balance. Any issues with that?
I was thinking of mounting the 605s on stock wheels for road biased. And Mt21/Tusk on tusk wheels for dirt biased.
I got the 500 deal on the wheels, just not in stock right now.
Bruce, I picked up a Parnes balancer a while back and used it to true up my WR250R tires after installing Tubliss in them. If I can balance out that huge problem of the Tubliss, then a beefier tire should be no problem.

I've been running a D606 rear and MT-21 front for several years now with no experience that has me searching for something better. The D606 hooks up in mud and soft sand and gives me more grip than I should ever use (but sometimes do) on the street. In a combination of maybe 80% dirt to 20% street on my KLR, the D606 lasted about 3500 miles and the MT-21 about 6,000. I haven't put enough miles on my WR250R to get a sense of wear.

Totally different animal but after running TKC80 and Michelin Wilds on my GS, I put on a set of the new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. I'm starting to think there's some dark arts involved in those tires. They work just about as well as the other tires on a variety of off-road but with no perceptible vibration or almost no noise at all on the road. My GS has been known to see some forest roads that turn more gnarly so I wanted to keep a tire that could do that but be better for my road trips in between.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain