I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

revive dead lithium battery?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

revive dead lithium battery?

Post by Laoch »

Hey smart guys...can I revive a dead lithium battery? My son killed his BRP battery. It's been on lithium charger with no results. I "juiced" it a couple of times with regular charger, but it didn't seem to do any good.
It currently reads 1.12v on the charger. "Charge" indicator light is not lit.
Any hope?
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: revive dead lithium battery?

Post by smdub »

It is possible. Run it on a constant low current until the cells recover some. I'm guessing you don't have access to the balance connector? If not, it's hard to tell if one cell drains faster than the other 3. If using a 'smart' charger it might not even try to charge so its handy to use a power supply.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Would it be OK to hook up a charged, good battery in parallel and charge both of them together?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

You're supposed to limit the current when charging a lithium, esp when from dead. Putting a battery in parallel, the good one can supply uncontrolled current into the dead one so that is not advisable.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Good to know
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

It's my understanding that the charger needs to see a minimum voltage before it will start to charge. My local Battery Warehouse restored a normal gel cell battery for me with a special charger they have for recovering batteries that are completely flat. Don't know if that's possible for a lithium but now you have the sum total of all my battery knowledge on the subject. :shrug:
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I put it on 1.5 amp trickle charger and checked voltage every so often. Once it got past 12v I put it on the lithium smart charger and now it shows that it's taking a charge.

Next question- does killing lithium a battery affect or effect? :think: ... the longterm and/or short term life/ performance?
Meaning is this battery going to be shit even when (and if) I get back to full charge?
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Laoch wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:40 pm I put it on 1.5 amp trickle charger and checked voltage every so often. Once it got past 12v I put it on the lithium smart charger and now it shows that it's taking a charge.

Next question- does killing lithium a battery affect or effect? :think: ... the longterm and/or short term life/ performance?
Meaning is this battery going to be shit even when (and if) I get back to full charge?
Hope you have a back up kicker....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:48 pm
Laoch wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:40 pm I put it on 1.5 amp trickle charger and checked voltage every so often. Once it got past 12v I put it on the lithium smart charger and now it shows that it's taking a charge.

Hope you have a back up kicker....
:lol2:
It's for my son's BRP. His problem...I hope he parks on a hill :deal:
Bruce
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Laoch wrote:I put it on 1.5 amp trickle charger and checked voltage every so often. Once it got past 12v I put it on the lithium smart charger and now it shows that it's taking a charge.

It shouldn’t be as detrimental as an agm or lead acid as far as I know but I do think it will shorten the life a bit. Depending what battery you got some lithium batteries have many thousands of cycles. Most traditional batts should only be drained 50% and lithium’s can go further so it should tolerate more abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.