I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Parting out a motorcycle

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Parting out a motorcycle

Post by phoo »

How do you part out a motorcycle, particularly wrt the engine and frame and the title? Years ago, I sold/gave away a frame for a bike and gave the title with the frame but kept the engine. So now I have an engine with no title. Or something. I'd like to sell that engine, but I'd also like to avoid this situation in the future. So what to do about the title when parting out a motorcycle?

Also, does anyone need any parts from a 2000 Yamaha WR400? There is a (currently undiagnosed) top end clacking, but it does run (though you wouldn't want to). If I wanted to keep the bike, it would probably be just a couple hundred bucks tops to fix, but I don't want to keep it and don't think fixing it is worth how much I would get if I sold it.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Parting out a motorcycle

Post by Marylander »

The title and frame go together for registration purposes. Engine without title is fine.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It is my understanding that the frame is the "bike". So if you sell the frame than the title goes with it. Likewise, if you buy a frame you better get the title with it so the VIN on the frame matches the title.
The engine doesnt matter, you can swap those around.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

BTW check the cam chain tensioner. They make a godawful noise when not working.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

What do you do about the title when you title a bike? They check the frame and the engine number, which have to match the title.

I'll check the tensioner, but what this really sounds like to me is I dropped a valve. Really, it's so easy to work on the top end of this thing, I should at least look into it, but I already have the DRZ with the magic button and there are several bikes to work on in line before this one. Either way, thanks for the tip!

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have never had a DMV check the engine number on a bike, or a car for that matter. I just went out to the garage and I can't find a number on either the DRz or the WR engines. I'm not going to pull the Tupperware off the Connie to look...

I agree with the others, the title goes with the VIN tag, which is on the frame.

You wouldn't happen to be parting out those "X" wheels for your WR, would you? :lurker:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Wingfixer wrote:I have never had a DMV check the engine number on a bike, or a car for that matter. I just went out to the garage and I can't find a number on either the DRz or the WR engines. I'm not going to pull the Tupperware off the Connie to look...

I agree with the others, the title goes with the VIN tag, which is on the frame.

You wouldn't happen to be parting out those "X" wheels for your WR, would you? :lurker:
The MVA asks that on title transfers from out of state. But numbers aren't the same on slot of bikes so I done know how they track it for things.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Dropping a valve ends the music rather abruptly with a sound that never comes from a healthy engine.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've had more than one bike that I bought out of state and registered in MD (when I lived there) with a previous engine swap. The MVA has never looked at my motor serial, let alone the VIN stamped/stickered on the frame. The title and frame are a pair and engine serial numbers don't matter unless someone really must have a bike with the original motor in it and then it's simply a way for them to verify that.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

In regard to titling, I'll never again go to those a******s at MVA...I only go to Terry's Tag and Title. They are better than great and fast too.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T