I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WTB: Montesa 2604T

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: WTB: Montesa 2604T

Post by Boom Boom »

Shame Alta did not make it. Have a friend in Pittsburg with one or could be 2. He loves it and the hard core 2 stroke enduro guys that ride it have nothing but good things to say.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 pm Shame Alta did not make it. Have a friend in Pittsburg with one or could be 2. He loves it and the hard core 2 stroke enduro guys that ride it have nothing but good things to say.
I thought Dave's Alta was very nice. Big shame they went under.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I went ahead and ordered a Sur Ron with a few options like the 54T rear sprocket for crawling around in the woods. I'm hoping that will be a reasonable training aid and allow me to be patient about finding the right deal on the Montesa. I'd appreciate all you guys keeping your eyes pealed and I'll be back looking harder for something in the spring time.

Anyone have contact info for Sam? I'll be looking for some tips on making it better for the gnarlier stuff we ride (21" front wheel, trials tires, etc)

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 am making it better for the gnarlier stuff we ride (21" front wheel, trials tires, etc)
I saw this while I was looking at Woody's wheels last night!

https://woodyswheelworks.com/collection ... 0-off-road
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:32 am
Twist wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 am making it better for the gnarlier stuff we ride (21" front wheel, trials tires, etc)

Excellent. Thanks for the link. You mentioned that you might consider a Sur Ron - when this thing comes in I'll give you a shout and you're welcome to come over and try it out.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 pm Shame Alta did not make it. Have a friend in Pittsburg with one or could be 2. He loves it and the hard core 2 stroke enduro guys that ride it have nothing but good things to say.
I rode Dave's when we were in NC last Dec at Brown Mtn. It was pretty cool. I rode behind him for a while and places where you have to modulate the throttle like step ups and ledges and such were a bit more of a challenge with the more on/off nature of how his controller worked. I rode it for about 10 miles back to camp and it was fun. Trippy crackin it, hearing the "wiz" sound and the back end busting loose.

Pretty sure a software mod and better controller would fix alot of that. An electric "auto" clutch type programming would be cool-

I like the Sur-Ron more because of it's size and more mountain bike like build. I don't want a full size electric dirtbike, but a Sur Ron sized bike, you could sneak around really easy on my peninsula!
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 am
Firebolter wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:32 am

Excellent. Thanks for the link. You mentioned that you might consider a Sur Ron - when this thing comes in I'll give you a shout and you're welcome to come over and try it out.
Assume you got the X? You can get them for about half the cost of most of the decent E-MTN bikes now.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 am I'll be looking for some tips on making it better for the gnarlier stuff we ride (21" front wheel, trials tires, etc)
More SurRon owners :cheers: (I'm about to buy another one - for the kid to ride)

What fork is it coming with? If the RST you will need a new fork for a 21" wheel. The DNM Volcano will fit one as I understand it. I went w/ a Fox40 I got a great deal on but Luna sells a DVO upgrade now. IMO, the bigger front wheel didn't make all that big a difference. Its the better suspension and bigger/better tires that are the majority of the difference.

I bought two Pro Wheel Racing 70R rims, spoke, and nipples for $390. I supplied my own hubs and laced/trued them. No harder than doing a mtb wheel.

I'm running Shinko SR241 trials tires. 2.75x21 in the front (again, will NOT fit in the RST fork) and a 3.5x19 in the rear. The rear is really too wide to fit well. You have to redish the wheel quite a bit away from the chain. The 2.75x19 is a MUCH easier tire to fit. You will want to raise the rear w/ a new shock link since a 21" front tire diam is quite a bit larger than the rear tire.

Someone said Sam was running a Michelin Xlite? I'd love to know what size.
Last edited by smdub on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sure seems like buying a new Honda product you would spend a bunch more time riding and far less attempting to make something to ride... :shrug:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Check this out-Good thing they make a chain conversion kit!

Lots of cool bikes---