I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anybody ever ride Potomac State Forest?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Anybody ever ride Potomac State Forest?

Post by jxs2151 »

I did some (unplanned) off-road snow driving this past weekend when, driving home the back way from Deep Creek Lake, I passed a sign that said "Potomac State Forest - ATV Trails".

As you can see from the pic, this looks like it would be a good place to do some dual-sport riding. I was wondering if anyone had ridden this area and also if there are any camping areas nearby?

Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.4 ... 7&t=h&z=15

MD DNR Site:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... forest.asp
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Anybody ever ride Potomac State Forest?

Post by mdubya »

I have ridden all around that area. It is near Kitzmiller and the North Hill riding area. There is camping all around and it is only a short hop from Oakland/Deep Creek.

I don't consider the riding in Potomac State Forest alone to be worth the effort, but a day long dual sport of the entire area would be worth it. Then again, there is much better riding in all directions than that one area. IMHO, of course. :rickey:

TyMarp and I have ridden all the ATV trails around there. They don't amount to much. It is a very pretty, very scenic area, part of a much larger area of more of the same and some that is even prettier and more scenic.

Scenic road/atv trail from the other side of the river:

DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
dmar
DAMN Wanabe

Post by dmar »

Looks like a nice area , no rocks
06 klx250s(300)
04 fz6 sport tour
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Post by jxs2151 »

mdubya wrote:I have ridden all around that area. It is near Kitzmiller and the North Hill riding area. There is camping all around and it is only a short hop from Oakland/Deep Creek.

I don't consider the riding in Potomac State Forest alone to be worth the effort, but a day long dual sport of the entire area would be worth it. Then again, there is much better riding in all directions than that one area. IMHO, of course. :rickey:

TyMarp and I have ridden all the ATV trails around there. They don't amount to much. It is a very pretty, very scenic area, part of a much larger area of more of the same and some that is even prettier and more scenic.
Thanks for the heads-up, particularly the part about other areas to ride nearby.

Jeff
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

jxs2151 wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, particularly the part about other areas to ride nearby.

Jeff
That is my neighborhood. :thumbup: I would be happy to give you a guided tour anytime. The riding out here, especially mild dual sporting, is unreal. :rickey:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Post by jxs2151 »

mdubya wrote:
jxs2151 wrote:

Jeff
That is my neighborhood. :thumbup: I would be happy to give you a guided tour anytime. The riding out here, especially mild dual sporting, is unreal. :rickey:
Oh hey, I just noticed the Oakland in your profile information. I stayed there last weekend and ate at the Cornish Manor. Neat little town you got there.

I'll be sure to hit you up in the spring, I'd like to do a casual weekend, enjoy the scenery-type ride.