I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

After some consideration

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Re: After some consideration

Post by XRAnimal »

I wanted a Hybrid of my 650L and the CR250R. The XR400 fit that description. A Baja kit, tires, speedo, mirror and a little running and the bike was plated. :thumbup:

love it
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Well first off dont waste your money on a KTM or any other exotics they wont make you faster or better, its the rider NOT the bike. The XR400 that XRanimal ownes now was mine and I purchased it new. I bought the bike and it was an almost perfect blend of everything you wanted in a bike without the flash. The power was very useable in every situation from crawling single track to cruising 65 mph down the highway. The brakes are from the motorcross bikes and has a very useable suspension for alot of riders. Its very light compared to similar street legal bikes like the DRZ, although the DRZ is a very good choice with reliability and aftermarket support. The XR400 still after being discontinued has a ton of aftermarket support but theres really not that much you want to change on the bike. When looking at a used 400 check for signs of smoke when starting cold or hard revs, which mean like bike is likely due for a top end which if not abused would only run you a few hundred dollars. The bottom ends are almost bullet proof except for the occasional severely abused bike.
Now for one of the other choices in the XR lineup for DS work is the XR650L which I personally feel is underrated. It is a heavy bike weighing around 325 but It carries the weigh very low and stays planted at speed in the gnarly stuff. The bike has monster torque and you never need to rev it . The brakes work well but the forks need help to balance out the shock. Changing to a heavier fork oil weight helps but if your a bigger guy springs are what you want. Go a tooth down on the cs sprocket, add the usual guards and big tank, toss on some dirtbags and your ready for whatever the adventure.
Now for my personal favorite XR is the 650R. What do you want it to do today is the questions? Discontinuing this bike was probably one of Hondas worst mistakes in the offroad scene. All the bike did was dominate....... everything. Super reliable, smooth power makes you feel like your cheating. The bike carries its weight really low and are around 300 lbs in DS mode. The engine has monster torque with rocket ship revs, yeah right to the moon. Again unless your a big guy the stock suspension will do whatever you want it to do believe me. Ive rode mine at the local mx track jumping everything like it was my 125 and Im talking 60ft doubles. I bought my 02 new and it has never broke down or let me sit and Im just guess arounding 30-35k on the odo now. I absolutely love the bike its rock solid and will be around for a long long time.
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
rideabike

Post by rideabike »

I've got experience with and XR4. I bought my 1997 XR4 in 1998 and have ridden it almost weekly since then. It has held up well. I broke a shift shaft a year ago and since they were going to have to split the cases, I wanted to see if there were any upgrades that should be done at that time. The mechanic said that there wasn't much wear at all and we decided it wasn't worth doing any upgrades. It really hasn't needed much over the years. For trail riding, the XR4 is tough to beat. I've done the NVTR Spring Trail Ride a bunch of times and rarely find anybody that can catch up or pull away from me and my XR4. When there's a big pile of rocks (The Cove) and everybody is trying their best to get through, I know that the XR4 can chug through it. Same thing when leaving a stream bed and heading up a greasy hill. Other bikes have to be reved up but the XR4 just chugs up the hill which helps reduce wheel spin.

I also have an XR650L that I'm selling. It is a 1993 with 9K miles and it is in very good condition. I'm not sure that I agree with the other post that talks about it carrying the weight low. The XR650L feels more top heavy than the XR4. It has impressive power but the XR4 is much easier to ride. The weight is better on the XR4 and the gearing is better spaced. The XR650L has a big difference between 1st and 2nd. It works good for the street but for slower trails, the overall gearing needs to be lowered to close up the difference between the gears. It would depend on the emphasis...XR4 is better on the trails and the XR650L is better all-round...especially on the street.

Send me a message if you're interested in the XR650L and I'll get you some pictures and more details.

Curtis
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'll also give a vote for the DRZ400. Great bike, reliable, good aftermarket, and can find good prices on used ones. I like my DR, but for offroad the DRZ is a better bike.

I'm personally not much of a Honda guy (weird personal quirk w/ no logical basis), but Honda makes a pretty good bike and there is nothing wrong w/ an XR400. However, I'd point out that the DRZ400s comes w/ a street legal title and the XR400 doesnt, (unless a previous owner already did it for you). Its not impossible in MD, but it is a pain in the nuts and causes you a few more headaches and money.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

IMHO, I would erase the idea of the xt225. Great for someone just learning to ride, but for someone with your experience you'll be frustrated moreso then not. Don't get me wrong, we have one and it's a lot of fun. But if I sold my strom to finance that I would've :wallbash: :censored: :censored: :wallbash: I'm not sure what you're looking to be able to do, but consider that if you do not have a trailer that anywhere you go is going to be quite a bit more time consuming then having the capo or something else more slab worthy then a full out dual purpose. Not that the dr400, 650, or others can't do it, it just wont be as relaxed of a ride as the capo, strom or a gs. Of course you already realize, then you're passing up on the off-road ability.
There is no way in hell you'd catch me on 70 with the xt 225 though. Tempting to try one small jaunt on it from exit to exit just to see, however, as is I get blown all over when just hitting minor highway stuff.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Mmmmm...a DRZ would be my choice, after the WR250 of course :lol2:

It's already legal and unless price was the overriding issue,it would be just as good as the XR4 without the PITA factor.
Bruce
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

i've owned several Drz's (S's and E's) and a XR4. the XR4 has much more power than the Suzuki street legal version (S or S/M), probably something to do with the hotter cams and gearing and such... I don't know, I just ride em. But I think the Z is superior in the dirt. Better moto style riding position, narrower and much lighter feel. much easier to farkle to. Finding goodies for the XR4 is tough.

The XR is probably more comfortable on the road.

Tough call.

:lurker:
TheAntiCrash

Post by TheAntiCrash »

Power to weight for mosty offroad, I prefer my tagged Yamaha WR400 to my DRZ400s.

WR is just tough on rear tires :roost:
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Grady, I'm waiting to hear back on an XR, but if it doesn't pan out, I'm going to contact the KLX owner.

Code, I agree with you on the XT and other lightweights. I'm not looking to replace the Capo, I want a second bike for getting dirty with the rest of you DAMN people.

My concern with the DR-Z and the KLX is that if I drop it, it could damage the radiator and leave me stranded. The XR and DR are air cooled which is simpler and lighter weight. But the biggest limiting factor is cost. If I can pick up something cheap then work towards dual-sporting it, but I can still trailer it to Green Ridge to ride.
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

CapoGreg wrote: My concern with the DR-Z and the KLX is that if I drop it, it could damage the radiator and leave me stranded. The XR and DR are air cooled which is simpler and lighter weight. But the biggest limiting factor is cost. If I can pick up something cheap then work towards dual-sporting it, but I can still trailer it to Green Ridge to ride.
There's some really good radiator guards out there...
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale