I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

crack(ed) pipe

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

crack(ed) pipe

Post by mdubya »

I pulled the DRZ apart due to a serious ticking. All DRZ's are noisy and tick. But having owned this one for 8 years, I know when it gets too loud. To my surprise all valve clearances were in spec. Semi-happily I started re-assembly when I noticed my Titanium Yoshi pipe is significantly cracked at the exhaust manifold.

This is some relief.

Question: does anyone think I can just get the cracks welded up, or I am I on crack :bandit: for thinking that?

What about short term fixes? Hose clamps and exhaust wrap? That is definitely a crack pipe idea if ever I had one...
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
badguy
DAMN Expert

Re: crack(ed) pipe

Post by badguy »

I'm pretty sure welding Ti isn't the easiest, but it's definitely possible. Someone here should know a welder that could do it, and since it's just some cracks, it shouldn't be too expensive.

If you can get a clamp around it, I'd think that could help in the meantime. I know they sell exhaust repair cloth at Autozone that you put under a clamp, but it might leave a mess on your pipe, so be careful.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

badguy wrote:I'm pretty sure welding Ti isn't the easiest, but it's definitely possible. Someone here should know a welder that could do it, and since it's just some cracks, it shouldn't be too expensive.

If you can get a clamp around it, I'd think that could help in the meantime. I know they sell exhaust repair cloth at Autozone that you put under a clamp, but it might leave a mess on your pipe, so be careful.
Welding Ti isn't too much of a big deal with the right equipment and an experienced weldor. I am not too worried about looks or mess at this point. My DRZ has been to hell and back and looks it. :lol2:

I will have to check out what A-zone has. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Most experienced weldors (good use of the proper term, a welder is the tool) will probably turn the job down due to the difficulties of welding contaminated, unknown titanium.

Cracks in any material are notoriously hard to clean and have to be ground out to good metal before welding.

Titanium is very picky about matching alloys between parts and filler rod, unlike most steels and some aluminum, i.e. you can weld 1020 mild steel to 4041 cro-moly with no downside. There are about 30 different alloys of Ti, and about 6 or 8 in common use, so it's a bit of a crap shoot unless you can find out what Yosh uses.

IMHO, a good bet is to send it to Yosh to be repaired.

And, DON'T wrap Ti exhausts, ever. Ti becomes pretty reactive when hot, and any moisture trapped by the fiber wrap will quickly oxidize the Ti, and literally cause it to crumble.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Most experienced weldors (good use of the proper term, a welder is the tool) will probably turn the job down due to the difficulties of welding contaminated, unknown titanium.

Cracks in any material are notoriously hard to clean and have to be ground out to good metal before welding.

Titanium is very picky about matching alloys between parts and filler rod, unlike most steels and some aluminum, i.e. you can weld 1020 mild steel to 4041 cro-moly with no downside. There are about 30 different alloys of Ti, and about 6 or 8 in common use, so it's a bit of a crap shoot unless you can find out what Yosh uses.

IMHO, a good bet is to send it to Yosh to be repaired.

And, DON'T wrap Ti exhausts, ever. Ti becomes pretty reactive when hot, and any moisture trapped by the fiber wrap will quickly oxidize the Ti, and literally cause it to crumble.

Thanks Al. :thumbup:

Good thing I have a plan "B"....and a plan "C".... :eyes:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

[quote="Roadracer_Al"And, DON'T wrap Ti exhausts, ever. Ti becomes pretty reactive when hot, and any moisture trapped by the fiber wrap will quickly oxidize the Ti, and literally cause it to crumble.[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know that :thumbup:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Well, it is looking like hose clamps and Red Bull cans might be getting me through the weekend. I thought I had an E model head pipe, but it is AWOL.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

mdubya wrote:Well, it is looking like hose clamps and Red Bull cans might be getting me through the weekend. I thought I had an E model head pipe, but it is AWOL.
It will probably work better then the original!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Well, it is looking like hose clamps and Red Bull cans might be getting me through the weekend.
and anyone who looked at the bike would immediately recognize it as mdub's bike with the Red Bull cans! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:Well, it is looking like hose clamps and Red Bull cans might be getting me through the weekend.
and anyone who looked at the bike would immediately recognize it as mdub's bike with the Red Bull cans! :lol2:
Don't let the smoove taste fool ya!

O wait, that is something else. :lol2:

DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC